• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

A class is a subclass of itself?

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hi..Everyone!
how can it be possible that a class is a subclass of itself?....i am getting confuse with this statement ...can anybody explain about this...?
please reply me...

Bartender
Python Ruby Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Inheritance represents IS-A relationship. Since a class IS itself, it cannot inherit itself. Even if you try to implement it (class A extends A) you will get compile time error.
This is more of a theoretical question, and I would point you to this post for further explanation.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to read the Java Language Specification for the official definition, but it may be difficult to read. I think you will find it calls a class a subtype of itself.

It is also a supertype of itself. But not a superclass or subclass. At least I think that is what you will find.

Bartender
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Kemal Sokolovic,
Your post was moved to a new topic.

Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The JLS is more confusing than usual on this topic. Campbell summarizes it correctly - the supertypes and subtypes of a class include the class itself, but the superclasses and subclasses do not. Which seems stylistically inconsistent, but logically consistent, in the sense that the JLS does use the terms precisely and consistently, even if they seem inconsistent.

So if you're using the JLS definitions, a class is not a subclass of itself, but it is a subtype of itself.

If you're using some other definitions, well, the answer would depend on the definitions used.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic