• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

So study SCJP6.. which book to study?

Greenhorn
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone

I'm looking forward to obtaining a java certification. I just completed the SCJP 6 study guide from K. sierra and java is the first language I have seriously studied, Earlier I had a superficial experience in VB and C.

While going through forums I found that a book by 'Khalid Mughal' is also very well revered in programming circles for those who wish to give SCJP/OCJP.

As of now, I have learned lmost everything about SCJP6 from K.sierra, I'm trying to write some real world problems on my own, along with learning Swing.
but I still don't feel really confident about giving the exam.Java can be pretty convoluted sometimes (I know many will disagree, but that's a personal observation).

My question is:

Would studying Khalid Mughal book be worth the effort?

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Shiveen Pandita wrote:
but I still don't feel really confident about giving the exam.

Try a good mock exam and see how well you score. That will give you confidence.

Shiveen Pandita wrote:

If you don't score well on the mock exams, then yes. It will definitely be worth the effort.

HTH,
Paul.

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Shiveen,

Both books - Sierra/Bates and Mughal are good books, however, from exam perspective, I would suggest to stick to one book.

The reason is - when you need to study a topic in detail, you are much more comfortable with material which you've already referred (i.e. examples/analogies used in the material).

Secondly, mock exam is good tool to understand your own preparation.

I hope this helps.

All the best!

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Shiveen Pandita wrote:

As of now, I have learned lmost everything about SCJP6 from K.sierra, I'm trying to write some real world problems on my own, along with learning Swing.
but I still don't feel really confident about giving the exam.Java can be pretty convoluted sometimes (I know many will disagree, but that's a personal observation).

My question is:

Hello Shiveen -

Swing isn't part of the exam and you don't need to focus on real world problems also because very rarely we use these concepts in the real world, i.e the concepts on the exam.

And about your second question, I agree with Anayonkar and I would also suggest to just try some mock tests like the ones on www.certpal.com and see how much do you score on them, that way you can know about your level of preparation for the real exam.

I hope that helps !

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic