• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Regular Expressions Cookbook

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Jan Goyvaerts, Steven Levithan
Publisher   : O'Reilly Media
Category   : Advanced Java
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating        : 10 horseshoes

"Regular Expressions Cookbook" covers reg exp syntax in different languages and patterns for building them. I had read O'Reilly's "Mastering Regular Expressions" years ago and liked it a lot. I feel the same way about this book.

While the book doesn't require regular expression experience, it is a tough read if you are coming in completely fresh. At least read a tutorial online first. It is a great book for building on basic or advanced knowledge.

Chapter two is like a book in itself. The author says you can skip this chapter if you've read "Mastering Regular Expressions" cover to cover. That's me! Yet I still learned a couple things in chapter 2.

The rest of the book is recipes. Problem, solution, flavors, languages it works in, variations and lots of description. Some recipes were similar/repetitive. But a 500 page pattern book isn't intended to be read cover to cover. The recipes had a great range from zip codes to ISBN numbers to VAT. I like how the examples build up in complexity so they don't start out being overwhelming.

I learned a lot about regular expressions and patterns. And what grep stands for (g/re/p in ed). I also learned about some new Java 7 features like named captures. I liked the parts on performance and Big O notation.

Now I have two really good regular expression books plus the pocket reference. Thanks O'Reilly!

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic