• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Pass an array starting at an offset to a function

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
If I have an array like so:

and I have a function:

and I want to pass this to a function from index position 2 (pseudocode), ie

How would I achieve such a thing?

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd suggest just passing the offset to the function as a separate argument. You can't do pointer arithmetic on a Java array, so you can't change it's size or starting point without copying to a completely new array.

Bartender
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I understand correctly, you want to tell the method where to start and how many to process, yes? So you need to add a parameter to the method to indicate the start position, and then you pass the array, the start parameter, and the end parameter. Note that you cannot pass part of the array. You're actually passing the array, just a reference to it. Objects are never passed to methods in Java.

Then inside the method, you'll need to modify your for loop to start at the desired position instead of at 0.

Ranch Hand
Oracle Spring Flex
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am not sure if I understood your question correctly. Am answering assuming, you want to retreive starting from second element.

Probably you could have a third parameterin the function and pass the element from which you want to iterate. Modifying your code

And, you call the function as below

Ashwin Sridhar
Ranch Hand
Oracle Spring Flex
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Probably Jeff , Mathew & Myself were posting simultaneously.

Angus Comber
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Matthew Brown wrote:I'd suggest just passing the offset to the function as a separate argument. You can't do pointer arithmetic on a Java array, so you can't change it's size or starting point without copying to a completely new array.

I guessed that you would need to add an offset parameter. I just wondered if there was any way to specify an offset of an array like arr+2 or arr[2].

I suppose as the array object contains a length, then passing part of the array would invalidate the length so wouldn't make sense.

Thanks for all your replies.

Jeff Verdegan
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Matthew Brown wrote:I just wondered if there was any way to specify an offset of an array like arr+2 or arr[2].

I suppose as the array object contains a length, then passing part of the array would invalidate the length so wouldn't make sense.

Again, remember, we're not passing the array, we're passing a reference to the array. You can't pass a reference to part of an array any more than you can pass a reference to part of any other object.

Angus Comber
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeff Verdegan wrote:Again, remember, we're not passing the array, we're passing a reference to the array. You can't pass a reference to part of an array any more than you can pass a reference to part of any other object.

The fact that it is a reference I don't think is the issue. What is a reference? Just an alias for the actual object. In some languages you can specify an offset to an array.

Eg array[offset] - will reference start of array then increment no. elements by offset specified.

But the Java 'array' is not really a section of memory like say an array in C, it is a class (I suppose). So the start of the Java array is the start memory location of the object, not the direct location in memory of the first element.

Jeff Verdegan
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Angus Comber wrote:

Jeff Verdegan wrote:Again, remember, we're not passing the array, we're passing a reference to the array. You can't pass a reference to part of an array any more than you can pass a reference to part of any other object.

The fact that it is a reference I don't think is the issue. What is a reference? Just an alias for the actual object.

No, it's not an alias, and the fact that it's a reference to an object is precisely the issue. The reference is a pointer to the object. If you're familiar with C++, a Java reference is much more like a C/C++ pointer than a C++ reference. A C++ reference is often referred to as an alias for a variable, but Java's references are nothing like that.

In some languages you can specify an offset to an array.

Not in Java. In java a reference to an array is just like a reference to any other object, and a reference to an array is not simply a pointer to its first element.

But the Java 'array' is not really a section of memory like say an array in C, it is a class (I suppose).

Correct. It's probably implemented that way in the JVM, but it's not specified as such in the JLS, so Java programmers have no visibility into that bit.

So the start of the Java array is the start memory location of the object, not the direct location in memory of the first element.

Not even that. There is no "start" of the array, just a reference to it, and I think you'll find that the JLS doesn't define references in terms of memory locations.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
An array is an object (not a class), and it does say so in the JLS. You can even find out the type or class name. Arrays do not necessarily (as in C) represent a contiguous block of code.

Does this tiny ad smell okay to you?
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic