• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Abort executing query without setting "timeout" attribute in IBatis?

Greenhorn
Hibernate Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
A query is taking more than a minute to retrieve the data (Due to larger volume of data) from the database.
I need to stop its execution.
I know that, we can set "timeout" attribute in the select tag (For a single query alone) or "defaultStatementTimeout" attribute in settings tag (SqlMapConfig.xml - For all the query) to forcibly terminate the query in execution.

or

By doing the above configuration, IBatis will throw "User cancelled request" error and terminates the execution.
Do we have any other way to terminate the execution?

My Scenario:

When user requests for 3 years data, it takes more than a minute to fetch data from the database.
In the meantime, when the user requests for 1 day's data or sends a "cancel" request, I have to forcibly terminate the previous execution (3 years data retrieval) because it is affecting performance even with limited number of users.

NOTE
I didn't used any of the setting above.

Please provide me solution for this.
Thanks in advance .

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Welcome to the Ranch!

You should probably limit the number of concurrent requests for large amounts of data somehow (maybe down to one at a time?). Cancelling a request that has already processed substantial amount of data just because another request has arrived is a big waste of resources. The "small" requests should then be allowed alongside the "big" one(s), it will perhaps take longer, but so what - if someone needs to process such requests, the system must be sized up properly.

If you have a single application server, you could probably implement it easily there. If you have a more distributed application, you might use some database concurrency/locking mechanism for that.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic