• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OrionServer link

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The link for the Orion Server software on the CattleDrive "Home" page is now pointing to something displaying a roulette wheel and writing in an alphabet that I cannot identify.

Is there a new source for the Orion Server? I've previously run Servlets via Apache Tomcat. Can I use that instead?

I would like to start working on the Servlets section.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Orion server has gone the way of the dodo. I'm not sure what the preferred replacement is, but Tomcat should certainly work.

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's also been some discussion about using Tomcat for the assignments here https://coderanch.com/t/590280/Cattle-Drive/Servlet-container

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Phil. Yes, Orion seems to be gone forever. Another student pointed that out to us a couple of months ago, and we're scrambling to adapt, and the way we'll do that in by going to Tomcat. Go ahead and start the assignments on Tomcat, and if you run into trouble, we'll try to resolve them here in the forum until we can update the Cattle Drive page.

Phil Freihofner
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks!

I can see that there are complexities in providing new documentation for the instructions. I have some experience writing documentation--perhaps I can assist? Is there a "start" to the project, or should I use the existing instructions as a template for new instructions?

I'm not going to "commit" to documenting until I've managed to successfully complete the first assignment, of course!

Greg Charles
Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, you can absolutely help. I intend to use the current instructions as a template, but if it makes more sense to point at Tomcat docs, that would be fine too. What platform are you on? I'm on Mac, but ideally we'd have install instructions for Mac, Linux, and Windows.

Phil Freihofner
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have Microsoft Windows XP. (Still using XP!)
I use Eclipse Indigo as my IDE, but understand the preference to go without for the Cattle Drive.

I installed Tomcat a little over a year ago. I think I have 7.0.2 or some number like that. Can provide more specifics as needed, later.

I'm heading over to print out instructions (to read on commute) now, should be able to say more early next week.

Phil Freihofner
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just sent a file to nitpick@javaranch.com that covers the Servlets instruction area, from the contents links through the first Assignment and the notes on Packages. The text now has instructions for using Apache Tomcat.

I think it tested out pretty solid. I have Windows XP. I might be trying out Ubuntu server in the next week or two, if you don't have a tester for that.

I was able to follow along pretty well. I have Java EE, not SE, so there was one step that I couldn't test. But I did load a new Apache Tomcat from scratch and everything seems to be working out well.

I wasn't entirely clear on the part where the file structure is created PRIOR to compilation to match the package structure. I was able to compile the edited BeeServlet with the new package header just fine from the root directory in my work area. So I didn't include that in the instructions. I did, however, include the file structure changes needed in Tomcat that result from the package structure.

I hope this work proves helpful, and gets us closer to having an updated set of instructions! My basic plan is to continue with my HTML rewrite (I'm avoiding the JSP sections) as I do the assignments. I just sent in my first assignment, "NowServlet".

Ranch Hand
Tomcat Server Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Would it be possible for me to use the instructions that Phil Freihofner wrote?

I am starting on the first servlet assignment, have Tomcat installed and running, but the BeeServlet.java doesn't compile.

Thank you,

Phil Freihofner
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sent via PM.
By the way, if you send me a PM back and I don't respond in a day or two, you might alert me here as I am notified when anyone adds to this thread.

margaret gillon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Received them. Thank you. Sent you a PM, too. Cheers, M.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm soooo looking forward to my first servlet assignment : )

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Phil

Just sent a PM to requesting a copy of the instructions you wrote for Tomcat

Many thanks

Dan

margaret gillon
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Dan,

Tomcat can be complicated to set up but the Tomcat web documentation is excellent. Below are links to the Tomcat 7 and Tomcat 8 install instructions.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/setup.html

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/setup.html

It is also very useful to go to the first web app page and test the example applications that are installed with Tomcat.

https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/appdev/index.html

With Tomcat there is manual configuration of a few files. The Tomcat site discusses this and I think Phil's instructions do , too.

IMPORTANT : Every servlet project has to have a web.xml file in the project to run in Tomcat. There should be threads in the Cattledrive forum about the web.xml's . I don't remember if Phil's instructions include the web.xml for the BeeServlet or not.

On my windows computers I have tomcat installed in c:\tomcat\ . I made the BeeServlet in a project named Bee. Once the project has been moved under Tomcat to be run the web.xml will be here:

C:\tomcat\webapps\Bee\WEB-INF\web.xml

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am looking for the instruction for installing Tomcat. I saw this thread and I thought I would try this.

Margaret and Phil, if you are available, can you send me the Tomcat instruction?

I will the link to Margaret's last posting.

Gary

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Murach Servlets book also has extensive step by step instructions to set up Tomcat.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic