• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I am OCJP 6 Certified, What will i get from this book if i decide to read this book for fun?

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Reese,
I have OCJP 6 certification. I love to read new books on java.If i decided to give this book a chance,what new things i will learn from this book?

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess not much. Maybe a few minor java 7 features like binary literals, underscores in numbers,...

author
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From the standpoint of differences between Lava 6 and Java 7, you will not see a lot of differences. Depending on your understanding of Java, the book's treatment of program memory may enhance your understanding of Java. One of the frustrations I have with most programming books is their minimal/non-existent discussion of the program stack and heap. I believe this is central to understanding how modern languages work and have tried to rectify that deficiency in my book.

Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Richard Reese wrote:From the standpoint of differences between Lava 6 and Java 7, you will not see a lot of differences. Depending on your understanding of Java, the book's treatment of program memory may enhance your understanding of Java. One of the frustrations I have with most programming books is their minimal/non-existent discussion of the program stack and heap. I believe this is central to understanding how modern languages work and have tried to rectify that deficiency in my book.

Hi Reese,

Thanks for reply. I have minimal understanding of program memory. What i know is that Local variables are stored on Stack Area,Heap area is for dynamic allocation and Static and global variables are stored on Data Area.Objects are stored on heap whereas references are stored on Stack.This is what i understand about program memory. But i don't know how it will affect my programming skill.

Can you tell me,how it will improve my coding skill if i have understanding of program memory? and how deeply it is covered in your book?

Thanks
Tushar Bhaware

Richard Reese
author
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are two areas that immediately come to mind where understanding the stack/heap helps. First, when we pass a reference to an object as a parameter, we are passing a copy of the reference. If we modify the parameter within the method we modify the copy of the reference instead of the original reference. This can result in unexpected behavior. The second are is with recursion. The existence of multiple local variables for each invocation of a method enables recursion to occur. An understanding of stack/heap helps clarifies these issues.

In my book, I used diagrams to illustrate the state of the stack/heap whenever possible. The book does not address recursion, but once you understand how the stack/heap works it is easy to use it to further your understanding of recursion. The idea is that if you understand the foundations of any language, you can use it to explain concepts such as recursion when they show up.

Tushar Bhaware
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you very much for replying,sir.
All the best for your book.

There were millions of the little blood suckers. But thanks to this tiny ad, I wasn't bitten once.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic