• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Trying to run "hello world" JPA app with Maven: No Persistence provider for EntityManager

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I'm learning JEE6 and Maven. I'm trying to resolve this issue for two days already with no success, so maybe someone could help me here? The thing is, I can't run a hello world app, that uses JPA. Here's what I do and what I get:

Build successful, no issues. Then:

Note the message "No Persistence provider for EntityManager named jeetest" at line 22. The persistence.xml file is located in my src/main/resources/META-INF and it's being correctly copied by Maven to target/classes/META-INF. Here is the persistence.xml:

The database is also up and running. And here is the pom.xml:

Maybe I should add a dependency for that org.eclipse.persistence.jpa.PersistenceProvider? But I don't know the groupId, artifactId and version for it. I guess my mistake is stupid, but I'm stuck on it. Please, give me a clue.

Thank you!

Anton Reshetnikov
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oh, yes. And this the line where the exception occurs in my java code:

Still have no idea what am I doing wrong. When I use 'maven exec', does it automatically include dependecy jars from the pom.xml to the java CLASSPATH?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Probably, maven not downloaded dependencies. You need EclipseLink runtime(persistence provider), that defined in the eclipselink artifactId, you have it in pom.xml. First, remove <repository>with id eclipselink. add the following in pom.xml

After that, instead of mvn exec, run mvn assembly:single. This command should create complete jar file with dependencies, creates Manifest with main class. And you can see all needed dependencies in that jar, and can execute it with java -jar youjar.jar.

Anton Reshetnikov
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi! Thanks a lot for your reply. I did what you told me, and here is the info I got from this investigation.
First of all, Maven fetches all the dependencies correctly, they are in my local repository. Anyway, I tried use the assembly plugin. Deleting eclipselink repository from pom.xml resulted in error while compiling, though. So I left it undeleted and compiled my code:

Good. Then:

So now I have the jar with all dependencies included, so I run it:

The same error! Now it's clear that it's not a classpath or missing jars issue. May there is a mistake in persistence.xml or pom.xml? But persistence.xml gets copied to the jar by Maven! I don't know what to think.
I would be very grateful if someone points me on my mistake.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic