• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SCEA Part 2 - Basic Questions

Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

1) I do not have to submit the working code. Is this right ? THe deliverables are only the set of diagrams and risk details, right ?

2) Do I need to make the class/deployment diagrams using a UML tool only ? Can I do that in a Word document?

3) Should I read any specific UML book ? Or the references online are enough ? I do not have prior UML experience.

Regards,
Anila.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) I do not have to submit the working code. Is this right ? THe deliverables are only the set of diagrams and risk details, right ?
A: No you dont need any code. You need to submit UML diagrams, Risks and Assumptions.

2) Do I need to make the class/deployment diagrams using a UML tool only ? Can I do that in a Word document?
A: You can use the tool you like but the diagram must be UML compliant

3) Should I read any specific UML book ? Or the references online are enough ? I do not have prior UML experience.
A: Online things should be good enough, however book will give you a full understanding.

Anila Mathew
Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also,

How do we proceed ? Should we develop the complete application with configuration files like struts.xml etc ?

What do we for the databases ? Do we need to make the real connection classes etc. ?

For the logins - how do we authorize ? Do we have to come up with some kind of Secure Mechanism ?(Not sure if asking this question is appropriate )

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anila,
No. As stated above, this is not a coding project. You don't need to write a line of code.

You probably do need to design a login mechanism for the design. Choices are database, flat file, LDAP or anything else you can think of.

Anila Mathew
Ranch Hand
Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Jeanne. What I mean to ask is though we need not submit the code, should we submit a working proposal, if deployed. Until and unless we try it out, how do we know if our solution works ?

If I have databases, should I be detail enough to show the table names, etc ?

Thanks,
Anila.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Anila Mathew wrote:Thanks Jeanne. What I mean to ask is though we need not submit the code, should we submit a working proposal, if deployed. Until and unless we try it out, how do we know if our solution works ?

No. You don't write code to do design. If you were architecting a large system that is going to take months to develop, you still do the architecture and high level design up front. Granted it changes some when you start coding. But a good design isn't going to have gaping holes in it. This is the skill we are supposed to be practicing - doing the design such that SOMEONE ELSE could potentially write the code. You are not going to get bonus points for submitting code or any evidence that you wrote code. Honestly, it shows inexperience - that you need to write code to do design.

Interestingly, your solution doesn't need to work. It needs to be a possible design.

Anila Mathew wrote:If I have databases, should I be detail enough to show the table names, etc ?

I didn't design the database per se. I designed the entities which imply the database design.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic