• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tapestry & JSF Comparison Tutorial

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Looking for comments.

http://greggbolinger.blogspot.com/2006/01/should-i-write-tapestry-to-jsf.html

Thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I looked at the JSF example in the article. At the same time, I tried imagining the equivalent tapestry4 code to achieve the same.
Somehow I feel that very few people would actually pick JSF after looking at the comparison ( just my personal opinion). What do you think? Would that be fair to JSF?. May be you should pick another example that demonstrates that JSF is superior to tapestry wrt some other aspect (if at all)...just an opinion.

Update: Ok i take it back. May be the users can decide for themselves as you point out. But some of the obvious observations like the absence of another indirection in the form of navigation rules, the most sighted reason of the template being viewable in any editor / browser and access to any model/bean without any explicit configuration (Ok hivemind if something needs to be maintained in session) made me feel that tapestry w'd be a clear winner wrt this use case.

Can you modify the example to include dynamic component creation? I mean we s'dnt know until run time what component actually needs to be rendered.
I mean something along the lines of

if(something) componentTree.add(new Button());
[ January 17, 2006: Message edited by: Karthik Guru ]

Ranch Hand
Mac IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Gregg,

+1.
Sounds very useful, especially if you will be doing it in Tapestry 4.

(Posting here since your blog does not allow annonymous comments)

Sonny.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It would be great to see such a comparison, Gregg. Especially because I am doing something like this for my dissertation - comparing side-by-side Tapestry, Struts and JSF. :roll:

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Knowing the quality of your code, Gregg, I'm sure any tutorial you came up with would be excellent.

To make the tutorial useful, based on other ones I've seen, I think it should cover all the Tapestry controls. The last thing I want when picking a framework is a "MyFaces situation" (where the source code is the documentation!). A good tutorial that covers the main controls would be awesome.

Even a "non-tutorial" approach, a "cookbook" approach, would be good too (here is a control, here's how you use it in some context with some code). Since there are plenty of tutorials for Tapestry, as you pointed out, perhaps the cookbook "control by control example" approach would be even better. You could include a little shell "application" on top of which your cookbook examples would run.

Just my 2-cents. <s>

Hope this helps.

-- Mike

Gregg Bolinger
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mike,

I think that may require a series of tutorials, which wouldn't be a bad thing but I wonder if there isn't something like that already. I know MyFaces has that for JSF and all their controls in a downloable examples.war file.

I've got something in mind for my article and I'll be working on it this weekend.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic