• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Suggest design please

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have hosted a webservice application. The client sends a xml request, which i parse it using the xsd and JaxB. Naturally this jaxb generated class is inside the war file.

Now i have a situation, where i have multiple clients who may not be backward compatible xsd files to create a request.

So i have to support multiple xsd versions inside my war file. I thought of auto-generating the convertor class between jaxb generated classes & DAO objects. i did that but looks like i am facing a design issue and may have to generate the communication of different dao objects and database layer.

I don't fully agree with the above design, but i am unable to think of any alternative. Please suggest me a different design to handle this problem.

I don't want any debate about whats better or whats not, just some views that can allow me to improve my design.

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If this is in development process yet, use java polymorphism. Add an outer 'version' field. The version field can tell you which version of the data format it is. The polymorphism will be used on the type of data format; e.g. DataArea interface is the parent, DataParent001 and DataParent002 implements this interface to represent the 2 data format versions.

If this already in production, then you have to face the problem and accept that you will need to make 1 interface for each version; e.g. one http request url for each version. This is more of an operational problem thereafter.

sumit anand kumar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The xsd contains a version field that can always be retrieved by non-strict parsing of xsd.

So i have a situation where
xsd1 -> convertor1 - > my dao object -> bean processing -> bean objects -> database

xsd2 -> convertor2 - > my dao object -> bean processing -> bean objects -> database

i have used freemarker to generate convertor1 & 2.

My challenge is for any minor upgrades of xsd, that break backward compatibility, i should be able to process the new xsd with minor or no code change.
So i have to do something to do code generation of "bean processing (does mostly nothing but maps/preprocess my dao to bean objects)" such that in future if new xsd is added i should make changes to a properties file and jobs done.

I feel there is some honest and better design that can help me in this problem. Please suggest.

It looks like it's time for me to write you a reality check! Or maybe a tiny ad!
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic