• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Looking for expert advise to move ahead in Java

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,

I wanted to move fully into Java EE + Oracle platform from ColdFusion + Oracle/SQL Server.
I have 11+ years experience in Web Application Development. At major, I have been using ColdFusion since 11 years + SQL Server (10 years) + Oracle DB & PL/SQL (1.5 yrs) etc...

Part of my journey on 27th Dec, 2012 I passed my OCP Java SE 6 Certification with 81%.
I know my ultimate goal is to learn and use : Java EE + Hibernet + ANT + Any framework (Spring MVC / Struts / JSF etc..). Once I know about these things then I like to approach Java jobs.

Now the biggest question is : What is next? How to proceed? Confused mind?

Can I have some advise from your JAVA's professional experience? Would you please assist me showing WAY?

1) I should go for which framework? Spring MVC / Structs / JSF or any other.

2) What is the best book to learn Java EE + Hibernet + Whatever Framework you recommend?

3) Are there any online resource for Java EE + Hibernet along with video, code samples etc....?

Kindly give me some advise.
Believe me, your input means a lot to me. I will make most out of it.

Looking forward to getting your answers.

Thanks,
Hitesh Patel
Sydney

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello there

First I'm no expert but was in your position few years ago. Anyway going the Java EE route would mean learning servlets and JSP as the basics. The Java EE tutorial gives an overview of Java EE platform and covers each of the tech to a working level.

I suggest use the tutorial as a guide. Get familiar with an app server like Tomcat, JBoss, Glassfish or others. Play around the API or examples. When you feel comfortable then move on to those web frameworks like JSF, Struts, Spring etc.

When come to persistence, Hibernate is great but you should also need to know the old JDBC approach. Start with JDBC then move onto Hibernate and JPA. Persistence sometimes links with EJB so learn this too.

Lastly can't forget web services right?

There are plenty of resources out there for each technology. I personally recommend the Manning's XXX In Action series if you really want to know the details.

Besides the Java EE tutorial, use the Head First Servlets & JSP to get you going. Maybe you may want to go for Web Component Developer cert.

Hope this helps.

Bartender
Firefox Browser Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What framework to learn and use depends on the application and design. Spring is one of the most popular frameworks now, Struts in my view is loosing grounds.
Hibernate (not Hibernet) is an ORM, not related to any other framework. It can be used with Java desktop applications.
ANT is a build tool, I never wrote ANT scripts from scratch, I just learned to work with auto generated ones.

Hitesh Patel Patel
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi K. Tsang,

Thanks your time & can see your comments are going to be very useful.

Just few more things.

1) Is this the book (Head First Servlets & JSP) you are talking about?
http://www.amazon.com/Head-First-Servlets-JSP-Certified/dp/0596516681/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358288013&sr=8-1&keywords=Head+First+Servlets+and+JSP

2) Where is the online resource URL for Java EE tutorial? As you know there can be too may resource but which one you are talking about?

Kindly let me know.

Thanks,
Hitesh

K. Tsang
Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes that's the book.

The Java EE tutorial is at here. You can find the Java EE 5 and 6 tutorials

Hitesh Patel Patel
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi K. Tsang,

Thanks for your reply.

Hitesh

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In my current quest for a Java job, I have not once been asked about JSP or EJB. Rather, the most common question in terms of EE questions is how well do you know RESTful services - period. Knowing the Apache HTTP commons lib has also been somewhat useful. The next thing that helped me to learn was XML parsing, particularly pull parser. Then, the next most common thing people want from me is Java persistence. That's just my experience of course.

Hey cool! They got a blimp! But I have a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic