• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Am I on the right path to pass?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,

I am working towards my OCAJP 7 and my work will be paying for it an the materials. I have read through Programmer Level I Exam on Oracle's site. I am now going through the Enthuware exam and having mixed results.

Exam 1(1st attempt): 42%
Exam 1(2nd attempt): 80%
Exam 2(1st attempt): 57%
Exam 2(2nd attempt): 90%
Exam 3(1st attempt): 57%

While my second exam attempts are good, I am worried that I am only learning to pass the practice exams instead of learning the material. As of about an hour ago I started thinking about getting the Manning book to use as a study guide. I have been using Java at work for almost 3 years now.

I think I am on the right track, but I am starting to have serious doubts. I am asking for your advice on the topic.

Thank you

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To be honest: I would expect better results at 1st attempt for someone who has already 3 years of Java experience. Because this certification is just about the basics of Java (and object orientation).

Besides that you are the only one who can give the reason why 2nd attempt scores are much better than with the 1st attempt. Is it because of (part of) memorisation of the answers or because you have a better understanding about the different topics.

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Score on second attempt is highly misleading. It is actually better to go through the explanations of the questions in an attempted test multiple times than to attempt answering that mock exam again. IMHO, your scores are too low to attempt mock exams. Please see this to make the best use of available mock exams. Once again, do not judge your level of preparation based on your score on second attempt.

HTH,
Paul.

Tom Dahlstrom
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Paul,

I have purchased the Manning book to use as a study aid and it's really solidifying my knowledge. I'm glad that your software allowed me to realize that my knowledge was not complete enough to take the test. Your software has already saved me the price of a failed test, because I would never ask my employeer to pay for a test that I didn't pass.

Thank you,
Tom

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tom,

Wish you Good Luck for your exam.

With respect,
Mala

Tom Dahlstrom
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Mala,

Thank you. I passed my exam a few weeks ago. Your book was very helpful.

Regards,
Tom

Mala Gupta
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tom,

Many congratulations to you! I am glad that the book helped you.

With respect,
Mala

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Tom,

Glad you passed the exam. I hope to emulate that success soon myself. I had similar Enthuware 1st attempt results myself on the first two tests (I did not re-take the tests). I've also taken a couple of mock exams that came with the Oracle OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Study Guide. My general impression is that the Enthuware exams are much harder than the Oracle mock exams (I've scored better on Oracle). The Enthuware exams had more code problems which took more time and seemed to be trickier as well. I wish they were a little more indicative of the actual exam's difficulty, because I imagine the Oracle mock exams to be the same difficulty as the actual exams.

I've looked around for other mock exams but not found much without having to pay a significant amount (uCertify - $119). I guess I'll stick with my remaining Enthuware mock exams, and if I get into the 70+ percentile on them, then I'll feel more confident about taking the actual exam.

The knights of nee want a shrubbery. And a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic