• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to represent a member that may or may not have to make payments

Greenhorn
Netbeans IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am trying to draw up a UML of a Gym membership program. I need Staff Members Gym Members and Yoga Members. If Yoga Members and Gym Members have monthly dues but Staff Members do not, how can I have a Staff Member that is also a Gym Member (meaning they have monthly dues now)? Or would this be a case when I would need separate classes? I was thinking I should create an interface where any member may implement PayingMember.

Thoughts???

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Have you considered not using classes to codify this particular business rule? Maybe all you need is an attribute like say, paysDues (boolean). It's always easier to start with a simple design then evolve it as more scenarios come into the picture rather than start with a complex mess and try to make sense of it all. Grow your software design little by little, always refactoring as you go.

Geoff Berl
Greenhorn
Netbeans IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sadly, I did not think of that, I often over think my work. I am my own worst enemy. I will try this and see how it works out, if it doesn't, as you said, I can modify it later. Thank you.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic