• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

50 Android Hacks: Scala in Android dvelopment.

Ranch Hand
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Carlos,
I see one hack in the overview page. I'd like to know what the advantages and disadvantages of using Scala instead of Java? Do you use Scala a lot in your daily Android development?

Hack 34 Using Scala inside Android

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

qunfeng wang wrote:Hi Carlos,
I see one hack in the overview page. I'd like to know what the advantages and disadvantages of using Scala instead of Java? Do you use Scala a lot in your daily Android development?

I would double-ask this, quite interested to apply Scala on Android, but haven't seen any stable implementations yet.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

qunfeng wang wrote:Hi Carlos,

I worked for a company that had a scala module already coded before starting the android app.
I wrote that hack because I could manage to use it without needing to port it to Java.

Scala is gaining a lot of momentum but unfortunately is not being optimized for Android.
I wouldn't recommend to start from the scratch an android in scala, but it's interesting to know that it works

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic