• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Websphere vs Networking

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Karthik here. I am from India, working in a IT consultancy company. I'm a fresher, having five months experience in a WAS,MQ admin role for a leading American bank. I am looking to know the scope and future for WAS and MQ related jobs. My job involves linux admin scripting and MQ troubleshooting and monitoring and handling issues in the live production environment. I don't do any deploy activity. I request you and would highly appreciate it, if you could give me some answers to the following questions that have been clouding my mind for a few days.

What kind of scope and future does WAS and MQ technologies have?

What are the certifications/higher studies options I must pursue for career building if i Chose to stay with websphere?

Career wise, if I make a switch to networking would I be better off or is websphere better in terms of opportunities?

I would be really greatful if you could answer one if not all of the above queries. Thanks in advance !!!

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Karthik,
Welcome to CodeRanch!

They are different; one isn't better than the other. Networking probably is more stable, but IBM isn't going anywhere either. Which one do you like better? You are more likely to be successful at doing something you enjoy.

Karthik Sundar
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Marshal!

I don't know a great deal about networking but I feel that it is more interesting. Looking a few years down the line, would Websphere still be around and if I were to opt for networking, would I be better off going for a masters or would certifications be good enough?Thanks!!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic