• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Apache Hadoop and Radoop

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I get across a Big data analytic product called Radoop, from your experience, any idea of the difference in performance or development perspectives?

Regards,
Mohamed

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mohamed,

I am happy to assist you with all your questions, just write an inquiry to http://www.radoop.eu/company/contact/

Best regards,
Zoltan Prekopcsak
CEO, Radoop

Mohamed El-Refaey
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Zoltan,
I just wanted to know the differences, pros and cons for Radoop vs Hadoop

Zoltan Prekopcsak
Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As you may know, Radoop is a frontend for Hadoop so performance-wise you can expect something similar to using the Hadoop cluster directly. However, we have some automatic performance optimizations in the background that brings you some improvements that would be cumbersome to implement by hand.

The main difference is not the performance, but that Radoop has a graphical interface and you do not need to code to be able to define data analytics processes. We have dozens of parameterizable building blocks that you can use for analytics including data import/export, data transformations, ETL, statistics and machine learning and data visualization. You also have the possibility to add custom Hive scripts as new building blocks, so you can extend the platform if needed. This graphical interface makes it much easier to define and maintain analytics processes on Hadoop.

Instead of spending weeks and months on learning the Hadoop stack and coding various jobs, you can define analytics processes in minutes via an intuitive interface. I would be happy to have more discussions, so please contact us via the webpage or just send your email address here and then we can sync up for a call/webinar.

Best, Zoltan

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Zoltan Prekopcsak wrote:As you may know, Radoop is a frontend for Hadoop so performance-wise you can expect something similar to using the Hadoop cluster directly. However, we have some automatic performance optimizations in the background that brings you some improvements that would be cumbersome to implement by hand.

The main difference is not the performance, but that Radoop has a graphical interface and you do not need to code to be able to define data analytics processes. We have dozens of parameterizable building blocks that you can use for analytics including data import/export, data transformations, ETL, statistics and machine learning and data visualization. You also have the possibility to add custom Hive scripts as new building blocks, so you can extend the platform if needed. This graphical interface makes it much easier to define and maintain analytics processes on Hadoop.

Instead of spending weeks and months on learning the Hadoop stack and coding various jobs, you can define analytics processes in minutes via an intuitive interface. I would be happy to have more discussions, so please contact us via the webpage or just send your email address here and then we can sync up for a call/webinar.

Best, Zoltan

Hi Zoltan. I have only heard about hadoop and seen a couple of childish (but good) animations about it on youtube. I have a suggestion for you -

I would be great if you could make a simple/cartoon video to explain why radoop is needed with hadoop, without going into too much technical details.
example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJHv5t8jcM8

I believe that videos like these are much better than long pages of text and images. So I suggest that you hire some freelancer animator and have your tech guys/you give him a high level description of what hadoop is and WHY hadoop NEEDS Radoop.
Just imagine what non-tech users feel like when they read so many words like ETL, data analytics and machine learning ! So, simplify these terms for them or even avoid using them together.

I suspect that the finance/non tech people will be big decision makers in their company and will have the last word on why their company should buy radoop. So make the video for them and the tech manuals for their tech evaluation team.

Zoltan Prekopcsak
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

David Blaine wrote:

I believe that videos like these are much better than long pages of text and images. So I suggest that you hire some freelancer animator and have your tech guys/you give him a high level description of what hadoop is and WHY hadoop NEEDS Radoop.
Just imagine what non-tech users feel like when they read so many words like ETL, data analytics and machine learning ! So, simplify these terms for them or even avoid using them together.

I suspect that the finance/non tech people will be big decision makers in their company and will have the last word on why their company should buy radoop. So make the video for them and the tech manuals for their tech evaluation team.

Hi David,

You are perfectly right and indeed we are working on a cartoon video at the moment. I have went into technical details because Mohamed seemed to have a good technical understanding of Hadoop as he was asking about performance and development details. The above text is not intended as a management message about Radoop, but more like a brief technical description.

Anyway, thank you for your comment, it gave us an extra inspiration that a cartoon video is the way to go.

Best, Zoltan

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic