• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which framework is Wicket closely related to?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have been following this forum for a period of time and am trying my best to decide which framework to learn.

There is no direct answer as people say, don't use a framework to learn it, instead, decide which one you want to use and then learn it.

Here are some questions if you could answer them for me:

My background is: Writing home grown web-apps using MVC ( JSP/Servlet ) and all java code ( without any frameworks ). No experience with Swing/Applets/Ajax or any frameworks.

1. You mentioned wicket is a web UI framework. So, is it competing with Struts, Stripes, Tapestry, JSF, Spring MVC? If so, with so many out that, why should I pick this one to learn? Is it closely related to any of these which will help me transition to the other ones, if I wanted to spread my expertise or is this a whole lot different?

2. Would I still use Spring in the middle tier when I use Wicket? Is this the best way to do it? Also, is Ibatis, Hibernate, EJB3 the most reccomended at the database tier?

Some of the suggestions I have heard so far in the forum:

Stripes-Spring-IBatis
JSF-Seam ( Is Seam used in the middle tier or database tier or both )
Spring MVC-Spring-Hibernate

3. What would you suggest as different frameworks while using wicket.

4. Can you tell me if my Wicket learning curve would be better if I learn something else first or should I dive into Wicket?
[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: M Rama ]

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) It depends on why you want to learn frameworks. I believe Wicket will be the best choice if you want to learn how to be a better programmer, as object oriented programming plays a central role in using it. But if you primarily want to learn a framework for job prospectives, Struts and JSF might be better choices for you.

2) Yep. See the Spring examples that you can download as part of the wicket-examples project. The database tier is up to you. People have used all these technologies with Wicket. I'm using Hibernate myself.

Seam is for the business layer. The new version ships with Wicket support built in.

3) The ones you mentioned are all good choices. Personally, I like Guice a lot as well, though I'm not using it myself.

4) Again, that depends. I think that if you're fresh to OO programming and start with Struts or SpringMVC or something similar, it actually teaches you lots of bad practices. Wicket is much better for learning object oriented programming. So in that sense, stepping right into Wicket will avoid you having to 'unlearn' (in the words of Tapestry's creator Howard Lewis Ship) the bad habits a framework like Struts probably got you into.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am new to Wicket, how many days it will take to learn this new framework.
Will it solves all the business needs like ajax and every thing.POpup, parent windows, ajax calls,rendering the list, pagination, sort

Eelco Hillenius
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Sekhar Chand:
I am new to Wicket, how many days it will take to learn this new framework.
Will it solves all the business needs like ajax and every thing.POpup, parent windows, ajax calls,rendering the list, pagination, sort

That entirely depends on how fast you learn and what your experience is etc. If you're experienced, you should be able to get up and running in a few hours. If you're new to OO programming and web programming (HTML, CSS, etc) you'd need considerable more time. Alternatively, consider reading the first - and free to download - chapter of Wicket In Action and see if the style attracts to you before putting enormous amounts of time in it :-)

And yes, all the things you mention are supported.

Sekhar Chand
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
how can we do sorting the table , do we need to use third party tools or which id we have to use to sort out that sorting problem

Eelco Hillenius
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Sekhar Chand:
how can we do sorting the table , do we need to use third party tools or which id we have to use to sort out that sorting problem

There are examples of sortable tables in wicket-examples you could take a look at.

Sekhar Chand
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thank you CHillenius

Slime does not pay. Always keep your tiny ad dry.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic