• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

when I print todays date, its printing in Thu Jun 27 00:00:00 IST 2013 while I want it in yyyy-MM-dd

Ranch Hand
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
when I print todays date, its printing in Thu Jun 27 00:00:00 IST 2013 while I want it in yyyy-MM-dd format.Please let me know where I am going wrong

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Why bother to format the data into a string if that's not what you are going to print?

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vishal Hegde wrote:

Do you understand what that code is doing? Let's look at it line by line.

1. Gets a Date object from somewhere (probably a ResultSet, so it comes out of a database query). This Date object isn't used in the rest of the code, so it isn't relevant here.
2. Creates a SimpleDateFormat object with the format "yyyy-MM-dd".
3. Creates a new Date object set to the current date and time.
4. Formats the Date object from line 3 into a string, which will have the format "yyyy-MM-dd".
5. Parses that String into a Date object again.
6. Prints the Date object from line 5 using the default format that Date.toString() uses.

Many people are confused about Date objects, formatting and parsing, because a lot of people are asking questions about this on this and other websites.

Here are some important things to understand:

1. Date objects do not have a format by themselves. You cannot "have a Date object in the format yyyy-MM-dd". Sometimes people are asking questions like "I want my Date object in the format XYZ. How can I do that?". The question is wrong, because Date objects don't know anything about formatting.

2. Converting a Date object to a String is called formatting and converting a String to a Date object is called parsing.

3. You use a DateFormat object to format a Date or parse a String. The DateFormat object is the only thing that knows the format.

4. When you parse a String into a Date object, the Date object does not remember anything about the String or the format that it was in. A Date is just a Date, just like a number is just a number; it does not have an inherent format.

5. When you print a Date object "directly" (by explicitly or implicitly calling toString on it, as you are doing in line 6 of your code), it is formatted using a default format that makes it look like "Thu Jun 27 00:00:00 IST 2013".

Something else to understand about Date objects:

A java.util.Date object contains a timestamp, a number of milliseconds since 01-01-1970, 00:00:00 GMT. You cannot store just a day-month-year in a Date object. It will always also contain a time.

If you have to work with dates and times, I strongly recommend using Joda Time, a popular library with a much better API for dealing with dates and times than Java's Date and Calendar classes. For example, if you need to store just a day-month-year, you'd use Joda Time's class LocalDate for that. In Java 8, there's going to be a new date and time API which will be based on Joda Time.

Ranch Hand
Scala IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
+1 to what Jesper said. Great explanation!

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jesper, that would make a good FAQ entry.

Jesper de Jong
Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is already a FAQ page about working with dates and times, I added an "Understanding" section: https://coderanch.com/how-to/java/JavaDatesFaq
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic