• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

anybody see the movie gravity?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The reviews say it is good. I'm having trouble figuring out there could be a story interesting enough to watch though.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Folks at another site I visit seem to be mostly enjoying it, and say that it's best on an IMAX screen.

Master Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We loved it. The story is there - I don't want to say too much about the details, but it's a solid story.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I saw the movie trailer for Gravity at the IMAX. The trailer is intense.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mike Simmons wrote:We loved it. The story is there - I don't want to say too much about the details, but it's a solid story.

Thanks. This was my worry. That they wouldn't be able to provide a story.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Neil deGrasse Tyson enjoyed it while simultaneously ripping it a new one for its scientific inaccuracies.

Mike Simmons
Master Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
"Ripping it a new one" is something of an overstatement there. He's having fun nitpicking, as many of us do. Some of his points were quite valid, while others (e.g. about the title) are patently silly. Gravity is in fact present throughout the movie, driving much of the threat, and has a major effect on the outcome. Sure, they're in "zero g" but that doesn't actually mean there's no gravity - as he well knows. And NdGT may have overlooked the dual meaning of the title, and the symbolism of the final scene. Oh well. Other things - well, I kind of want to see it again, partly to review the explanations they gave for some things.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mike Simmons wrote:He's having fun nitpicking, as many of us do

Yup, I though that was pretty evident. Just like when computers appear in most movies, I'm usually cringing: "no, no, no, video terminals do not make teletype sounds..."

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I just saw gravity (3D).

To give a very simple answer, IMHO, no, there is no story here(at least, there is no good story).

What we see is - fantastic special effects, very nice acting, and very good attempt by director to develop a (quite ordinary) so-called story.

I don't want to give spoilers, but I didn't understand what is going on in first half, and by the time movie was 60% over, I already knew how this is gonna end.

It looks more like a NASA documentary than a movie - and if you've seen a NASA documentary, or are aware of facts about astronaut and spacewalks, then you can make a pretty decent list of things which are technically wrong/impossible in this movie.

However, if you are fan of CuarĂ³n/Bullock/Clooney - go ahead and watch the movie. All of them have given very good performance.

Of course, this is my personal opinion, which may very well be wrong

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Your opinion can't be wrong. It's your perception/what you think.

It's not you think the world is flat.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We finally saw it this weekend: loved it. It was extremely intense: my nine-year-old was a little upset by it. Saw it in 3D and all of us had a little motion sickness -- that's never happened to me before, anyway.

Although there are some little flaws in physics and logic, as NDT points out, in general the overall treatment of science and technology is excellent. They clearly had some top-notch advisors working on this project.

The story is no weaker than the ones that drive most blockbuster films, although with the pacing, the spareness, and the small number of actors, it actually reminded me of a Samuel Beckett play in some ways. As far as not following the story in places: I suspect it really helps if you have a certain level of knowledge of the Soviet and American space programs and vehicles. If they say something about the Soyuz for the first time and you can recognize them on the screen, you are going to have a better appreciation for what's going on.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I finally went to see it. 3D not IMAX. I liked the 3D effects. They really did a good job on that. Especially the layers and little 3D objects. I liked the table tennis rackets in the air.

There were a couple points where I think I would have felt a little motion sickness had Ernest not warned about that. That happened to me when I was younger seeing IMAX movies. The "trick" is to anchor to the side of the screen so you see mostly the movie but something solid in your peripheral vision. Like the side of the screen or an exit sign. After staying like that for a minute or so, the feeling always passed. In my movie theatre there is a row the first row in the upper half has a metal railing. Some people like me get there early to put their feet up. The downside of that row is that you do have the metal bar in your peripheral vision. It doesn't block the screen, but you can see it. Which was just perfect for this problem.

Enthuware Software Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great movie. Worth watching in 3D. Most of the technical inaccurarcies are too technical and can be ignored However, one thing that annoyed me the most was the warning sirens. I don't know but I don't think they actually have those loud sirens for fire or other alerts on the space stations. Do they? Seemed like a Bond movie set
Second annoying thing was when she was trying to communicate with the Chinese and they didn't understand a word of English. Very hard to digest.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok. Finally I saw it too. The 3D, not IMAX. A good watch, I'd say. But that is all.

Sheriff
Android Google Web Toolkit Hibernate IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Saw it once in IMax 3D and then in normal 3D. It's good, but then I saw Captain Phillips which is awesome

Ranch Hand
Python Redhat Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Saw the trailer.. Wondering how will be there sound effects in vacuum outer space ?!?!

Bartender
jQuery Netbeans IDE Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database Chrome Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Karthik Jayachandran wrote:Saw the trailer.. Wondering how will be there sound effects in vacuum outer space ?!?!

Hollywood has never understood that, except for 2001:Space Odyssey. That's the only space movie that didn't have ridiculous noises in a noiseless vacuum. Star Wars was the worst offender.

Ernest Friedman-Hill
author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually the eerie silence is a great feature of this movie. Not to give anything away but there are some scenes of cataclysmic destruction that are completely silent, and it's freaky.

Mike Simmons
Master Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Gravity had no such effects in the movie. The director was upset when those effects were added to the trailer without his input. But there were none in the movie.

Other movies that respect no sound in space include Serenity and Silent Running. And, I assume, Europa Report, though I haven't seen that yet.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mike Simmons wrote:Other movies that respect no sound in space include Serenity and Silent Running. And, I assume, Europa Report, though I haven't seen that yet.

And if I'm recalling correctly, Outland.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yesterday I saw Gravity... The part I liked the most is when Sandra Bullock is using just underwear... lol

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:

Mike Simmons wrote:Other movies that respect no sound in space include Serenity and Silent Running. And, I assume, Europa Report, though I haven't seen that yet.

And if I'm recalling correctly, Outland.

The Star Trek Reboot also did silence in space. And they did it in a cool way -- the sound cut off as the camera actually went though a hull breach during a space battle. It went from intense space battle sounds to none.

Of course, stuff such as going to warp (the ship from the space point of view), still had sound. IMO, if they made those scenes silent, Star Trek fans would have cried bloody murder.

Henry

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Henry Wong wrote: IMO, if they made those scenes silent, Star Trek fans would have cried bloody murder.

Just noise in light of all the other abominations in the most recent film that caused Star Trek fans to cry bloody murder.

YMMV

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The SyFy series Battlestar Galactica also used "silent space" very effectively.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic