• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Database driven website

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a requirement to create a database driven website where information of all fields shown on UI will be stored in database. Application should read the fields and page layout info from database first and then render it on JSP. Can someone please suggest which is the best framework available in java for this type of work?

Thanks in advance!!!

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There rarely is a single "best" of anything. There are dozens of frameworks you could use. What specifically should it do?

Suraj Bahl
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I want my UI to be driven by database so when a HTTP request comes - it should first go to database, fetch all the fields which will be shown on UI and render the page with all fields.
In addition if my admin user add or delete a field from database then it should automatically reflect on UI without a change in UI or Service layer.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You'll have to be more specific than that. The former part just about any web framework can do. The latter part is unusual, as most web pages have a predetermined set of data they show, and are not tuned to displaying an unknown set of fields of unknown types - generally a web app gets adapted if the underlying schema changes. If you feel the need to change the schema frequently enough that you don't want web site releases to go with each DB change, that may be a sign that your schema is not flexible enough for the data you store in it.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This sounds like a Content Management system to me!!! Have you just looked at buying CMS off the shelf?. Why reinvent the wheel! There are lot of reliable CMS available.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic