• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

VSS to SVN migration

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Greetings,

I don't know how many Java developers use VSS (I never did for Java development), and the Subversion mailing lists are helpful in such matters as this post, but I'll give this a try anyway, with the hope of picking up just one more tale of what/what not to do.

I'm aware of the VSS to SVN migration tools at http://scm.tigris.org. Does your book offer, or do you have to offer, any hints/tips/tricks on repository migration in general and/or VSS to SVN migration in particular? I want to move some .NET projects from VSS to SVN soon, and I'm looking to draw on the experience of those who've gone before me.

Many thanks,
Craig

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Craig,

In the book I cover converting CVS to SVN, but I have not done anything VSS. I have most of the tools work well if you only convert the base repo and leave out any branches or meta-data (tags/labels).

Craig Demyanovich
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the speedy reply, Jeff. Hopefully, our fellow ranchers have some insight to share.

Craig

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I know this is a zero added value reply but I spent much time on it during a recent conversion and ultimately grabbed the latest version from VSS, started over in Subversion from a new version, and kept VSS around in the unlikely event we needed history from it. (I say unlikely because in our case it is -- not necessarily the case for others.)

Craig Demyanovich
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I noticed that in solutions under control of VSS, the *.sln file shows entries like the one below when viewed with a text editor:

This section is lacking in solutions not under VSS control. Are these sections stripped by the conversion process? If not, does opening the solution cause a connection attempt to VSS? One of my team members is concerned about this. Admittedly, we could just try it, but I thought I'd ask about your experience. Could you check one of your solutions now in SVN and report back whether a section like the one above remains?

Many thanks,
Craig

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic