• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to make file splitting and merging application?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello everyone,
I am an computer science Engineering Student.One of my friend made a project of a File Breaking Application in java,He says it can break down large files to small pieces which we can carry in CD, Pen-drives or upload to web easily and those pieces can be integrated again with the help of that application to generate the original file.
I asked him about how he made it,he denied saying "competition blah blah"...And He's right at his place because not every developer likes to disclose his/her codes or strategies.

That's why I ask in this forum how this type of applications are made.Please tell me a general overview and important terms so that I can search Google and learn to make such Applications by my own.

I promise i will work hard and learn everything that you people will tell me.

Thanks

Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I asked him about how he made it,he denied saying "competition blah blah"...

That's ridiculous. Techniques for this are old and time-tested; there's nothing fancy about them. Search for "multi part file archiving" or some such phrase, and you'll find plenty of examples.

Bartender
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I asked him about how he made it,he denied saying "competition blah blah"...And He's right at his place because not every developer likes to disclose his/her codes or strategies.

What a small minded attitude some people have.
Ask your friend how he learned the stuff he knows and he'll almost certainly have to admit to people having taken the time to share their knowledge with him. Be it friends, work colleagues or sites like this one most, if not all, experienced programmers have had freely given help and advice along the way and those that want to continue to learn and develop their skills will continue to seek help and advice from others.

And then the entire population worshiped me like unto a god. Well, me and this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic