• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is Hibernate used?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Java Ranchers,

May be this question sound very stupid but I want to know that "Is Hibernate used now a days". Actually I am planning to learn the Hibernate from my own-self.
But I am afraid that will it help me to get a job change. Actually I am 3.9 Yrs experience person and have knowledge of only Core Java. So just wanted to improve the scope of my leanings.

Is my decision correct to learn Hibernate.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hibernate is in broad use.

Anurag Jai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Bear....Will keep in mind next time...

Anurag Jai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As I am not having any working experience in Hibernate and I am planning to study Hibernate by myself only...So is it a good decision ?

Because I only know Core Java and no other technology..so just to boost up my resume should i study hibernate...

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, you should learn Hibernate. You should also learn Servlets since you've only worked with Core Java.

Anurag Jai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for reply...But At 3.9 yrs experience level in corporate world...Will Theoritical knowledge help me in future job switch....

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
By "theoretical knowledge", are you talking about learning Hibernate? Learning of a library should always involve practical coding with it, otherwise you haven't really learnt it, and couldn't claim experience with it in your CV (which is presumably the point).

Anurag Jai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am only aware of Core Java. I want to learn Hibernate and then apply for job switch....I was aksing that will learning Hibernate help me to change the job because I will be only having thereotical knowledge and practical i hav not implemented anything in Hibernate......

And Can anyone please suggest me that in 1.5 months what more i can learn and try for job change .....

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I was aksing that will learning Hibernate help me to change the job because I will be only having thereotical knowledge and practical i hav not implemented anything in Hibernate.

In that case it will not help you IMO. You're not learning a library only by reading about it - you need to implement software with it.

And Can anyone please suggest me that in 1.5 months what more i can learn and try for job change

Read a book on relational DBs and SQL. Read a book on TCP/IP. Read a book on software development, release and maintenance best practices. Learn practical Servlets/JSPs using a servlet container like Tomcat.

Anurag Jai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for reply.....So if I read servlets/JSP myself...Will that help me for future job switch...

By reading Servlets/JSP also I will get only theoritial knowledge...And how much time i need to study that..are they really tough...

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

So if I read servlets/JSP myself...Will that help me for future job switch...

No. But note that I didn't say "read about Servlets/JSP", I said "Learn practical Servlets/JSPs..." - that implies hand-on programming, lots of it, not just trivial changes to the code examples that come with Tomcat. If you haven't done anything with it, start with a book like "Head First Servlets & JSP", and program along. A good knowledge of web development will help you in job search, but there are no shortcuts.

If for some reason you're ruling out doing anything hands-on, then broaden your theoretical knowledge as I also suggested in my previous post. That will help you in interviews.

Anurag Jai
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So If I learn Servlets JSP basics atleast, then I will be able to answer atleast some basic questions?...

Like Servlets life cycle/sessions etc....? I am desperately loking to hange ASAP....And i know only core java....A you suggested, the best way to learn Serlets is by doinh Hands on side by side...is it ok?

And How much time it will take to learn atleast basics....

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

So If I learn Servlets JSP basics atleast, then I will be able to answer atleast some basic questions?

Not sure if I understand the question: if you learn something, surely you should be able to answer questions about it.

A you suggested, the best way to learn Serlets is by doinh Hands on side by side...is it ok?

As I said before, just reading about it is not going to teach you much. You'd stumble at the first interview question asking you to apply your supposed knowledge. So, yes, hand-on work is an essential part of learning it. But a good introductory book will help organize your path to learning, so you should think about combining both.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Another piece of advice: be careful what you claim to know. Any decent interviewer will find out very quickly that you don't have experience with Hibernate (or Servlets.) It's way worse to have claimed to have worked with something and not know it than to say "I've read about it and played on my own a bit."

Ranch Hand
PHP Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't know about Hibernate market demand, but I am sure it is in demand. Reading books could be time taking process, I would suggest Java Brains on youtube. You could learn hibernate basics in a day and this is coming from less than a year experience guy.

I've never won anything before. Not even a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic