• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How are these files related? XML encoding issue

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all, I'm new here. I've recently gotten into looking into XML file encoding and such and was wondering if I could get a little help on this.

There are these two files for a game I was playing (They are Similar, not Identical), and one of the files messed up on me and doing so messed up the game.

I tried doing what I could to fix it, but I couldn't figure it out. Basically, what I tried was seeing if I could convert the messed up file from ASCII to UTF-8, but it didn't match the format of the correct file that looked like gibberish.

The script for the two files are below:

GOOD file:

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

BAD file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<StatList xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<pokeName>Pikachu</pokeName>
<name>Pikachu</name>
<gender>Male</gender>
<loyalty>0</loyalty>
<pokeball />
<tint>
<x>0</x>
<y>0</y>
<z>0</z>
</tint>
<shiny>false</shiny>
<status />
<level>96</level>
<experience>6297477</experience>
<currentHealth>43.4</currentHealth>
<currentStam>124</currentStam>
<currentMoves>
<Move>
<name>QuickAttack</name>
<level>1</level>
</Move>
<Move>
<name>ThunderShock</name>
<level>1</level>
</Move>
<Move>
<name>TailWhip</name>
<level>1</level>
</Move>
<Move>
<name>ThunderWave</name>
<level>1</level>
</Move>
</currentMoves>
<moveRoster />
</StatList>

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the Ranch, P Eld!

The first file isn't XML at all, so XML encoding can't possibly be an issue. As for the second file, it's certainly XML. But encoding in ASCII versus UTF-8 can't be an issue because the file doesn't contain any non-ASCII characters as far as I can see.

Anyway if your game is expecting something like the first file, it's not at all surprising that the second file doesn't work as a substitute.

P Eld
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for the welcome!

What kind of file could the first one be then? I mean, it had an XML file extension, and they both came from the same source. It's just that one somehow had converted to the other (I'm willing to bet my anti-virus software had something to do with it). It would be great if I could turn the second one back into the first.

I would post the files, but I'm not able to post them as attachments since the extension is .xml

Paul Clapham
Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The first file looks like it's something in Base64 encoding to me, but that's just a guess.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic