• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

applet can not find needed classes

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello
I have a HTML page with an applet inside it.
I have the applet class and all other needed classes in a jar file in jre/lib/ext folder (I'm on windows). But when I open the HTML file in a browser it gives me ClassNotFound exception

The HTML file is this:

I have this HostOnDemand class in its package in a jar file in jre/lib/ext but it can't be found.
Since the applet is way too old, I'm using jre1.4.2 and netscape.

Please let me know if I should provide any other details.

Any idea may help
Thank you

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Is there any particular reason not to keep the code on the web server along with the HTML file, and reference it via an archive attribute.

Since the applet is way too old, I'm using jre1.4.2 and netscape.

Not sure what you mean by the applet being old, but Java is mostly backwards-compatible - so in general code will run on newer JVMs. Both the Netscape browser and Java 1.4 have not been maintained for many years - using either is an invitation for attackers to take over your machine.

mohsen fakhary
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you
In fact I've no control on the HTML file. I'm just trying to run the applet. It's an old web-page (it was developed a long time ago) which was/is used using MS-JVM and IE7. And now I have to run it anyway. And as you know installation of IE7 on a win7 is neither easy nor advisable. I want to use netscape just for the purpose of running this applet.
Running the applet using jre1.7 gave me some errors about security model. After searching on the error I noticed I should use older jres.

Thank you

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, you should at least use the latest Java 6 instead of Java 1.4, alongside a current browser.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic