• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question regarding Entry Level Java Positions

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to start off by saying that I think that this website is absolutely fantastic and I will use it in future to help others as y'all have helped me and continue to help me as I grow into a more mature java developer. I personally feel pretty comfortable with java and I am no longer a beginner, but in order to improve my java skills I feel like I need to learn more about design patterns and code refactoring. However since I only have a year of school left and I am about to finish my first major project that isn't school related, I feel like I am stuck learning javascript, html and css. I am not a big fan of web design and was actually gonna switch to C++ until I found out about JNI. I love developing software and server applications and not so much web applications. However I feel like in order to obtain an entry level position I must learn javascript, html and css because almost every entry level position (Indeed) I look at for java requires this skill set. Should I continue improving my skills with java and then move to JNI or should I learn javascript, html and css so I can find a job after school. I did watch a few videos on javascript and it has a lot of similarities to java or other OOP languages. I just wanted some professional opinions from people that have been in the computer industry for awhile.

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Charles Sexton wrote:
I am not a big fan of web design and was actually gonna switch to C++ until I found out about JNI.

How is learning JNI going to mitigate the need to learn C++? JNI is just an interface to get to native code that is normally written in C/C++. And quite frankly, it is very hard to use too. Personally, I would rather code completely in C++, than to code in a mixture of Java and C++, using JNI as the way to switch between them.

Henry

Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
so basically java with c++ won't benefit me at all for find a job. So basically I should learn javascript, html and css first and then move to c++? Would this be the best way to get into the computer industry and later on do what I have more of a passion for?

Henry Wong
author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Charles Sexton wrote:so basically java with c++ won't benefit me at all for find a job.

Since I am the only one who responded to your posts so far, was it something that I said that caused you to come to this conclusion? I don't think that I mentioned anything that even hinted that C++ skills won't get you jobs. There are lots of positions for C++ programmers. There are lots of positions for Java programmers. And hence, there are more options for those who know both C++ and Java.

Henry

Charles Sexton
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Henry Wong wrote:

There are more options for those who know both C++ and Java.

Henry

If you wanted to write advanced software and server applications which technologies would you learn? I have an extreme passion for software and server applications!
I don't thing doing server side web applications aren't that bad but I hate client side. I apologize for the ignorant questions.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For experienced developers, focusing on the back end isn't rare. For entry level, most people do know the UI side. As more companies split into real JavaScript heavy UIs, that is becoming a more specialized skill. I think you'll be fine focusing on the back end.

When asked at an interview, you'll need to be able to state why you don't like front end development though. Not liking web design isn't enough of a reason because JavaScript is logic and not just laying out CSS.

If I'd had more time, I would have written a shorter letter. -T.S. Eliot such a short, tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic