• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Can/does neo4j work with NoSQL db like Cassandra for time series?

Ranch Hand
Scala Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I'm wondering whether or not neo4j requires a NoSQL db to proper work and if not, would there be any benefits of running it atop Cassandra for time series? Does the combination make any sense?

Jacek

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Jacek,

So without more details its a bit hard to answer this question but in general I would say is that you should always look to use "the right tool for the job" Neo4j is great at answering certain connected data type questions, but not necessarily great if you are trying to scan through the entire DB and perform aggregations across it etc. Neo4j can indeed model time based graphs, with the following blog giving one such example of how to do this: http://neo4j.com/blog/modeling-a-multilevel-index-in-neoj4. Having said that Cassandra also excels at time series data, and there is no reason to not use both if required, depending on what you are trying to achieve! In this polyglot persistence world we now live in, there is generally no one size fits all.

For me the end solution is important, and in my experience this often involves having to use more than one technology to achieve the desired end result.

Nicki

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic