• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Building Microservices

Ranch Hand
Scala jQuery Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
I have read a fair bit on Microservices but one thing is not very clear to me and that's the overhead of all the communication channels, setting up web services was always pretty painful when I've done it in the past, maybe this isn't the right technology to use?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Well, I think there are two things in your question. The first is the overhead of spinning up a new service. This has got better with new technology. We have the ability to provision machines automatically, then configure them automatically, and deploy our software automatically. Tooling that has come out of companies that handle systems at scale are now readily available to us to handle distributed monitoring and confirguration. And things like docker are making programatic 'virtualisation' faster and more cost effective. All these things are helping reduce the cost of making new services, and are behind why microservices are a plausible option for many now when they weren't in the past.

The other side of this is picking the right sort of comms between services. There are many options. It doesn't have to be textual-based protocols like JSON over HTTP/REST. You can use binary protocols like Protocol buffers, or low latency async messaging protocols etc., when you have different sorts of performance characteristics you want to achieve.

Hope that helps!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic