• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Should I switch from NetBeans to JDeveloper?

Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I know this kind of question provokes religious debates, but maybe that's not always a bad thing. I have been happily using NetBeans for several years. However, I've just started using UML class diagrams and want to have an editor that can keep my code and my diagrams in step with each other. NetBeans used to have a plug-in for that, but not anymore (since version 6.7). Somewhat surprisingly, their own site recommends JDeveloper as a UML tool. Well, as it happens, JDeveloper is a full-blown IDE, not just an editor for UML diagrams. I like NetBeans, but I'm not married to it. And I don't like the idea of shuffling files into and out of one IDE just so I can use an editor that doesn't exist in another IDE.

So, should I switch from NetBeans to JDeveloper?

Perhaps a better question might be this: What will I miss about about NetBeans if I switch to JDeveloper?

I use Subversion for my version control. It plays well with NetBeans. I wouldn't want to lose that. The GUI editor appears to be the same (maybe they are both using Matisse?). My sole motivation for considering this switch is that JDeveloper has a good UML editor that links the class diagrams to the code. Is there a better option that keeps me using NetBeans?

All advice gratefully accepted.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have never used NetBeans. But, JDeveloper is awful. I could never check in code properly through JDeveloper, and it doesn't have decent Maven integration, nor does it allow you to write plugins yourself.

The reason why Netbeans tells you to go to JDeveloper is because NetBeans is the IDE that Sun made, JDeveloper is the IDE that Oracle made. Oracle bought Sun, and it has to maintain Netbeans now. It doesn't want to maintain 2 IDEs. It wants people to use JDeveloper.

Stevens Miller
Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jayesh A Lalwani wrote:I have never used NetBeans. But, JDeveloper is awful.

What do you use, Jayesh?

Jayesh A Lalwani
Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I use Eclipse, but I don;t think Eclipse has what you want. Or it might have. You might want to look at the plugins

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic