• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to route requests to a managed server

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Am trying to understand managed servers in weblogic 6.1.
I don't have a cluster license so am trying to deploy it in non-clustered mode.
My application is deployed in the admin server (port 7001) and also in the managed servers and am able to access them.
Now i want to be able to redirect requests to either of them based on their availability.
How to handle failover with managed servers(w/o clustering)?
I just want to be able to switch to the other managed server if one has crashes unexpectedly
thanks.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Depends... do you need Http Session Replication?
If not then you can achieve failover and load-balancing by using either the WebLogic Proxy Plugin or a dedicated Hardware Load Balancer.
If you need Http Session Replication then you will need clustering. Either in the form of WebLogic Cluster licenses or a third-party clustering solution such as Tangosol Coherence.
[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Mathews ]

Karthik Guru
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I separated the web tier from the server commands + EJBs. I deployed the web tier in the admin server and the commands + EJBs on each of the managed servers. Then i had a base BusinessDelegate that all the web tier business delegates extend and employed a simple round robin algo to point to
the session facade sitting on the managed servers.
I did cache the home interface references of all managed server session facades. c'd u please comment on this?
In what way c'd this affect the performance?earlier i was executing all the workflows on one admin server. Now i execute it on different managed servers in a round robin manner.
Basically all the business delegates configure their session facade references everytime somebody looks up their instance.
thanks.

Originally posted by Chris Mathews:
Depends... do you need Http Session Replication?
If not then you can achieve failover and load-balancing by using either the WebLogic Proxy Plugin or a dedicated Hardware Load Balancer.
If you need Http Session Replication then you will need clustering. Either in the form of WebLogic Cluster licenses or a third-party clustering solution such as Tangosol Coherence.
[ January 23, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Mathews ]

Chris Mathews
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by karthik Guru:
I deployed the web tier in the admin server and the commands + EJBs on each of the managed servers.

This is not a good idea. You have basically defeated any fail-over capability that clustering allows. Now if your Admin Server fails, the entire Application fails. You should not deploy any code on your Admin Server, it is there merely to coordinate your Managed Servers. Package your application as an ear and deploy this uniformly on all Managed Servers.

Originally posted by karthik Guru:
I did cache the home interface references of all managed server session facades. c'd u please comment on this?

This is recommended and shouldn't cause any problems. WebLogic will hand you back cluster-aware Home Stubs that can be cached.
I don't recommend ever separating the Web and EJB Tiers if you can avoid it. There is no good reason to do this in most cases and it definitely does not help performance or scalability. If fact, I would argue that it hurts performance and makes no difference for scalability.
[ February 05, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Mathews ]

Karthik Guru
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks.
Got the weblogic cluster license from our software stack. Deployed the ear on all the managed servers, went through all the steps and it rocks!.
It's actually fun getting ur first cluster framework to work.

Originally posted by Chris Mathews:

This is recommended and should cause any problems. WebLogic will hand you back cluster-aware Home Stubs that can be cached.
I don't recommend ever separating the Web and EJB Tiers if you can avoid it. There is no good reason to do this in most cases and it definitely does not help performance or scalability. If fact, I would argue that it hurts performance and makes no difference for scalability.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic