• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

which weblogic version for starters

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
When I visit BEA Weblogics website to download, they provide different versions like
WebLogic Server Net Installer
WebLogic Platform Net Installer
WebLogic Server Package Installer etc..
Well I have never worked on weblogic so am not understanding wat are these and which should i install . Can nebody help me which download will serve my purpose.I am working in a small company which makes small projects on JSPs & sevlets. We dont work in EJBs at present but will be starting developing EJBs soon.
I would be reaaly thankful to the one who would explain me what purposes these weblogics downloads serve and and to which kinds of programmers and company.
Thank YOu

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It's not really different versions. It is different features.
WebLogic platform 8.1 - it has almost everything included: Server, Workshop, etc. If you want to run something from BEA under Windows you will have to install it anyways.
WebLogic Workshop - it's IDE for creating applications. It will automatically deploy your project on WebLogic server. I am not sure if you can run things that you do with WL Workshop on different servers They so much use BEA proprietary things etc It's included in WL Platform.
WebLogic Server - it's web/app server. Also included in WL Platform. Required by WL Workshop.
In short, probably you will have to install WL Platform. It has everything. Though I think most things are easily done with WL, but you will have hard time using other server than WL.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic