• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tomcat does not show up

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am learning Java Web Services using my standalone computer at home, in a self-instruction effort, where my source of information is the Java Web Services Tutorial.
I have installed in my computer, operated with Windows 2000 Professional, jdk's 1.3.1 and 1.4.0. I have also downloaded and installed the the JWSDP 1.0, all of its 30.4MB in my machine. As I said I am following the Java Tutorial. The understanding on my part is, of course, that Tomcat is included in the Java Developer Pack (according to the tutorial), although it is not very clear to me where exactly in the pack is the Tomcat software included.
Following the instructions, as faithfully as I can, I get to the point where I have to start Tomcat. I use the startup.bat batch file provided, which makes a Tomcat icon appear in the Taskbar at the bottom of the page, and then I use the Web search in my Internet Explorer to try to find http://localhost:8080. Unfortunately all I get when I do this is a list of about 7800 items related to localhost; and, other than the Tomcat icon in the Taskbar, nothing else; no other messages of any kind.
I have looked at many items of dialog between users related to Tomcat issues, and I do not seem to be able to figure out where to go from there. I believe I have my PATH, JAVA_HOME and CATALINA_HOME (when using j2sdk1.4.0_01)correctly defined. I have tried both jdk's 1.3 and 1.4, and nothing seems to make much difference in the result. So, at this point I feel like I have reached some sort of dead end and I need help.
By the way, I do not see any Tomcat service in my Control Panel-Services, as suggested in one item of discussion i found.
Something else, for the sake of providing information about my case, when I unzip and install the web services package, i run into a screen asking me about a proxy server. Since I am handling a standalone computer I leave that screen unanswered.
Can anyone give a suggestion or two about what to do in this case. Thanks in advance fellows.

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When the server is up and running you should see this:
Starting service Internal Services
Java Web Services Developer Pack/1.0-fcs
Starting service Java Web Services Developer Pack
Java Web Services Developer Pack/1.0-fcs
in '<install_dir>/logs/catalina.out'
PS. did you download the 'XSLTC Update' from SUN?
/Rene
[ July 11, 2002: Message edited by: Rene Larsen ]

Fred A. Romani
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Rene: thanks a lot for your prompt reply.
With respect to your message:
1) Yes, I do get the message response you mention in the log 'Catalina.out'
2) As I said before, a Tomcat icon appears in the Taskbar at the bottom of the page. but, when I enter http://localhost:8080 in my Explorer, all I get is a list of close to 8000 links to items related to "localhost".
3) I did not even know of the existence of XSLTC update before you told me. What is it suppose to do in my case? Do I find it in sun.java.com?
Something else I want to mention is that I separately downloaded Tomcat4.0.4 from the Apache Site and installed it. Using the Jakarta site installation instructions tried to star it. This time I get a running DOS screen telling me that the service is starting, but I do not get an icon as in the case of using Tomcat in WebServices, and I do not get any results either when I enter http://localhost:8080 in Explorer.
I will appreciate any other ideas you can provide me. Thank you, Rene.

Rene Larsen
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you get if you type 'ping localhost' in a comment promt - just without starting tomcat?
Try to call your web server like this: http://127.0.0.1:8080 (it's the same as localhost)
/Rene

Fred A. Romani
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Rene: I got good news.
I was making a really naive rookie mistake. I was trying to invoke the Tomcat server from MSN Explorer without any luck. But then I realized that I had to use the real browser Internet Explorer. So, when I used the browser, Tomcat showed up OK. I have even been able to make some more progress by trying the installation of the example application in the tutorial.
Again I have run into problems that seem to me related to "Ant". I hope you have already gone through this exercise. Ant is supposed to compile a java class (command "ant build") by the name of ConverterBeans.class.
Apparently it is not doing it, and that may be because I am not sure where to install the "build.properties" file, with my username and password. I have placed the properties file under the C:\Documents and Settings directory as suggested by the Tutorial, but I get Error message 401; something is wrong with the properties file.
Similarly, the command "ant install" fails to do what it is intended to do.
I hope you have done this exercise, especially with Windows 2000, because it is giving me headaches.
I appreciate greatly your willingness to help. Thank you, Rene.
Fred

Rene Larsen
Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have not done the exercise
I have only installed the 'Web Services' package and made some look around just to see what it is.
/Rene

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic