• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Checking if JBoss is running

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey Guys;

I have a java app running on JBoss on production and I need a page that will inform me via email if my app goes down; the new page has to run on a different server from the one on production. Can anybody point me to the right way to go about accomplishing this? If there any available codes that could be useful; I would so much appreciate such.

Thanks,
Anselm.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JMX is the industry standard for management of devices and applications
JBoss provides its own implementation of Standard MBean helper, all you need to do is write your own MBean with your custom monitoring code which extends ServiceMBeanSupport and an interface with public getter & setter methods for attributes and public methods for operations you want to expose on the jmx-console.

Example at
http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=ExampleHelloWorldService

Forums at
http://www.jboss.org/index.html?module=bb&op=viewforum&f=63

Padma

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm a bit confused why you would want a "page" to do this. If you run the page, and it says production is down, then why would you need an email?

I have a proggy that runs as a service that just hits a url. If it times-out, it sends me an email. That's just a matter of doing minimal setup using "HttpClient".

--Dale--

Anselm Paulinus
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Guys;

Hi Dale, Thanks for your input; the point is I do not know what to do here, I think the wording should be a page that queries the app every couple of mins to know if Jboss is down and if it is, it should either try to restart JBoss or send out an email. I do not know how to, I need advice on a better way to do this.

Thanks guys
Anselm.
[ August 23, 2005: Message edited by: Anselm Paulinus ]

Dale Seng
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I wouldn't make it J2EE. I'd just go to sourceforge and get the HttpClient jar file, and code a little Java app that requests a page from my JBoss server. If it throws an exception, times-out, or anything bad, send an email. Whatever the case, go to sleep for X minutes then loop back and do it all again. Then you'll get to work in the morning after JBoss crashes and you'll have a mailbox full of errors!

Now, if you want to make it hands-off, you would start your Java program as a service (there are several tools that allow you to start a Java app as a service). That way, you can set it to automatic start and you won't need to worry about making sure it gets started each time the machine comes-up.

--Dale--

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic