• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Wireless Java: Developing with J2ME by Jonathan Knudsen

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>Author/s : Jonathan Knudsen
Publisher : APress
Category : Miscellaneous Java
Review by : Mark Spritzler
Rating : 9 horseshoes
</pre>
Now, what's this new fangle, big city, ruckus we keep hearing about wireless Java. First they invent electricity, now it's all done without wires.
So I decided to find out and read Jonathan Knudsen's "Wireless Java: Developing with J2ME"
Now, I know that cell phones and PDA's are limited in memory and that any API for developing on these systems had to be streamlined, but I also expected it to be more difficult to learn. However, using this book, I was able to begin writing my first MIDLet in just 2 days. And it was an actual, production, working, business MIDLet, that we can use on our ranch.
The section on game programming for J2ME is exceptional. Especially for someone, like me, that has never understood how to write a game. It makes me really want to write one.
The book is very easy to read, you won't find yourself re-reading a paragraph because you didn't understand. Jonathan has a very smooth elegant writing style that not only instructs you, but it keeps you reading on. I didn't want to put it down, well except for the strong urge to start programming.
It has been a really long time that I have read any programming book that makes me want to code. But my brain is daydreaming of MIDLets after MIDLets that I want to write.

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jonathan is an excellent writer. I'm surprised he doesn't write more often. This book is the second edition. When I get around to reading it, I will compare it to the first edition and post here.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm longing to read the book,but now i haven't condition(energy and time) to develop program with j2me,perhaps i'll learn j2me long after.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic