• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How Tomcat Works by Budi Kurniawan, Paul Deck

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>Author/s : Budi Kurniawan, Paul Deck
Publisher : http://Brainysoftware.com
Category : Miscellaneous Java
Review by : Balaji Loganathan
Rating : 9 horseshoes
</pre>
This is best book to sit and read near by a fire but additionally you need a computer with you from time to time. I was very much pleased with the way author had described the interior design of Tomcat with reference to Catalina from a very simple component to the complex one. This book will sure help you to learn the big picture of Tomcat and its components and will also help you to run sample application servers.

It is highly recommended to download the code and use them as reference while reading and testing the chapters. This book covers both Tomcat 4 and 5 with a tiny note what has been changed from Tomcat 4 to 5.

I also liked the UML diagram and the collaboration diagram at the beginning of each/some chapters, this gives you the big picture of the package/class structure before you get into the very detail of every java class

After reading this book, if you happen to see some runtime errors from Tomcat, you will sure be able to say where and why it is happening

The book also act as a best documentation for entire Tomcat package, which you will not get even if you spend days on Tomcat website.

I would also recommend this book to any java programmer who want to see how a complex tool like Tomcat was build, which in-turn can help you to apply that knowledge while building your own in-house software.

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is far the best book I ever read. I thought that the HF series was the best, but I'm enjoying this one far more. Why? Well, because the author follows an 'open-source' approach. What does this mean? The authors aim to 'help' the reader in understanding, rather than spitting motionless knowledge. They drive the reader from the very basic through more elaborated concepts; the 'gergo' that is used is very simple (which doesn't mean not interesting) and the book is very easy to read and understand. Not only: as a reader, I realize that I'm actually learning something important, which probably without this book I'd never be bother to investigate. Another good anspect is that the book starts from the scratch, giving the reader the possibility to personalize some solutions, while keeping the general architecture. I, for instance, am trying to write a Servlet container based on NIO.

Congrats Budi and Paul, this is a very good job. As I told Budi before, I'm waiting for 'How JBoss works' and (why not?), 'How Pluto and Jetspeed work'. It could become a series. Only a suggestion: try to publicize your book a bit more, I haven't seen many links to it. If you want I can advertize your book on my site for free: just give me the link that I have to insert in my page. (BTW, my site is not the most popular of the sites, but better than nothing).

All the best,

Marco

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

try to publicize your book a bit more

I agree. I don't see it on Safari Bookshelf list (http://safari.oreilly.com/)

Is there any chance this book will be added to the Safari list?

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic