• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
<pre>Author/s : Luke Hohmann
Publisher : Addison-Wesley Professional
Category : Project management, Process and Best Practices
Review by : Marc Peabody
Rating : 8 horseshoes
</pre>
Meeting customers' needs is at the heart of every business. The businesses that thrive strive to uncover the less than obvious needs while resisting the temptation to bloat their products with unnecessary features.

Guess what? You won't develop great products by simply throwing a bunch of business analysts together and telling them to change the world. A great product addresses what customers need, so talk to the customers. Problem there is the customers often don't fully understand their needs, or at least they might not understand how to prioritize their needs. A little guidance is in order.

Luke Hohmann's Innovation Games introduces 12 games to play with customers so they will make decisions that reveal "true, hidden needs and desires." The book outlines how to facilitate a large event utilizing a few of the games but I think that, for most people, will prove just as effective (and more practical) on a smaller scale.

The book segregates itself into two sections. The second part blueprints the dozen games individually and the first part talks about everything surrounding preparations. The author is very thorough in how to prepare, perhaps to help us avoid bad experiences. I would have been more interested in learning through others' mistakes than through drawn out details on preparatory drudgeries, but that's really the biggest anchor I see on the "Speed Boat".

The games are actually pretty good ideas and I hope this book will inspire more like it. If you're like me and want to have Passionate Users, I recommend engaging in Innovation Games - it will help you to better understand your customers' needs.

More info at Amazon.com
More info at Amazon.co.uk

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic