• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

HLD & LLD

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,
Can anyone give me detailed decription about High Level Design(HLD) and Low Level Design(LLD), if possible with a small example.
what are the general constituents of HLD & LLD.

Thanks

(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My usual not-very-useful answer is that HLD and LLD are whatever you say they are. You need to know who will read the design and what they need to learn from them. Sometimes nobody reads them ... all the value is in the mental process of making them. Then you can tailor the artifacts to the audience, or maybe decide not to do them at all.

One distinction some people use is a HLD that is language, OS, and perhaps even architcture-free. A LLD introduces those things. Look for the different models in Model Driven Architecture (MDA) for better definitions.

Is somebody asking you for two sets of design docs or something?

Shaji Ravindran
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.I have to create these two docs soon, so iam trying to get an idea abt these.

Expecting more comments.

Thanks

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you have to create them for? If you provide us more context, we are more likely able to help you...

Stan James
(instanceof Sidekick)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This may get you some dirty looks, but can you challenge the people who want the docs to tell you what they use them for, what they need to do their jobs? It's a long and sad road to guess, get lots of complaints, guess again, get lots of complaints, etc. The best news is when you find somebody who'd be happier to have you come by and spend an hour talking at the white board and skip writing the doc altogether. He learns more and so do you!

I've given up on docs but I write tons of documentation in a web site (Wiki). A reader can follow a function through the architecture from end to end, browse many functions in the same level of abstraction, follow links up for an overview or down for details. A Word doc with a hierarchical table of contents is too hard for me any more.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic