• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

IBM 484 : Design patterns Qs

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Do we need to cover all the 21 presentation, business and integration tier patterns explained in the Core J2EE Design Patterns book?
In the Sun's link provided in the resources section at the IBM site,
http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2eepatterns/Patterns/index.html
there are only 17 patterns.
Are there any questions related to GOF patterns also in the actual exam?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The most frequently asked patterns are: MVC, Front Controller, Business Delegate, Session Facade, and Service Locator.
I think you just need to read those patterns that are covered by SCWCD, and well as some EJB patterns. You are not expected to know all GoF patterns.
Nick

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Will reading alone help understanding design patterns? I have seen very few design patterns in my experience - MVC, front controller, DAO etc. How often is it that Project leadership considers design patterns and anti patterns before they actually start development?
Vasu

Vishwa Kumba
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Nick!

Originally posted by vasu maj:
Will reading alone help understanding design patterns? I have seen very few design patterns in my experience - MVC, front controller, DAO etc. How often is it that Project leadership considers design patterns and anti patterns before they actually start development?
Vasu

All practical projects with a desired & planned good delivery will have sensible architects. Patterns are proven solutions or ways of solving a particular problem. Good architects use patterns all the times.
Patterns doesn't have to be those mentioned in the GOF patterns book or J2EE design patterns book. A good solution that has been used before for a particular problem and if that can be re-used again for a similar problem now, could be a pattern ......GOF patterns and J2EE design patterns just happen to be the most frequently used patterns in the industry.
A few years ago, I was using Singleton and Factory methods in my projects. At that time, I did not know that they were standard patterns used in the industry and were part of the published GOF patterns.

Vishwa Kumba
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by vasu maj:
Will reading alone help understanding design patterns?
Vasu

I am not familiar with the J2EE design patterns, except for those mentioned by you and Nick. For GOF patterns, I would suggest writing your own programs or understanding/practising standard programs using patterns code is a very good way of learning patterns........

vasu maj
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think the best way to learn about design patterns is by implementing them. Being aware of the patterns helps you to use them when you are desiging a solution. I think studying about anti patterns is equally important to avoid taking the wrong route.
Thanks,
Vasu

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sun's 'J2EE design patterns' book by Deepak Alur etc is also a good reference for J2EE related patterns knowledge.

Hey, check out my mega multi devastator cannon. It's wicked. It makes this tiny ad look weak:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic