• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is for each on a map with EL possible?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am trying to learn the EL for the J2EE SCWCD-exam and have trouble when I try to loop over a map with a for each that use EL. Here is an example of what I try to accomplish, is it possible to do this?

I have a servlet that creates a map like this one:

It contains movie objects that has a name property like this:

And I the forward to a JSP page to print the list of movies using a for each like this:

But it does not work. I get some error that say that a TreeMap$entry not have an attribute name ...

You can see what I try to do, is it possible or do you have a better, working, example?

And just to understand, is not

a reference to a movie objekt? One thing that complicates here is of course that I have a map. A map have keys and objects, am I iterating over the keys or the objects? With a list would I know that it is the objects, but I am not quite sure with a map. In normal Java would I have to iterate over the keys and then get the objects from the map using that keys.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Using the forEach loop for a Map will return an instance of Map.Entry for each iteration. If you look at the Map.Entry class, you'll see that it has a key and a value. So in your example, you should do the following :

Jonny Andersson
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That example from you looks so reasonable so that I already know that it must be correct ... I will try it later when I have time to look at it again. A lot of thanks for your help!
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic