• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Web Service to Get a Stock Quote?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a web site application for an investment analyst which much provide a realtime value of an ongoing stock portfolio of say a dozen stocks or so. I am thinking that maybe there is a site or service on the net to which I can programmtically pass a ticker symbol and receive back the current price. Maybe through a socket connection. Does anyone know of such a service?

Mark Mokris
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No one replied to my post, but in the meantime I found a solution, so I thought I would post it.
You can obtain a stock quote from Yahoo. After seeing in the browser address box how to Yahoo pases the ticker symbol to the stock server program, I simply opened a URLConnection in my Java applet to do the same thing. Yahoo passed back a an HTML page with the stock quote, and it is formatted strictly enough that I can grab the stock's price with String functions.
Not particularly elegant, but it works fine.
Mark Mokris SCPJ2

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are companies who specialize in providing financial content for websites. For example, AlphaTrade, E-Trax. Financial content may have real time streaming stock quotes, market news, company news and events. As an option they provide Stock Charts, Currency Converter, Options, etc.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic