• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Applet Security

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am writing an applet, basically just a counter applet (I know its been done before but I am a beginner trying to gain understanding).
What I want to do is read in a file called Count that contains a number. Then display that number in the applet. That part works fine. However, after the display is updated I want to take that number, increase it by one, then write that number back to the file Count.
Is this possible? I keep getting security issues, the file count is in the same directory as the applet.
Thanx,
Ryan

ryan headley
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am looking at some stuff on suns website, but if anyone can give an idea, please do.
thanx

ryan headley
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think I know why it isn't in theory but with the way my setup is, I don't understand to clearly.
Here is what I have:
I have the applet running on my workstation, not from a server, its in the same directory as the file I want to write to.
I believe it doesn't work because even though the files are all on the same machine, the appletviewer and/or browser treats it like its on a server. Therefore copies the applet and runs it but can't update it because applets cannot access files on the client side.
How do I get that file updated?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic