• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

resume improvement - more detail

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
On the advice of an experienced recruiter, I'm working on improving my resume.

For quite a while now, I've had it in my head to keep my resume to a single page. So, the descriptions are concise. Here's an example of a relevant experience entry (with the names changed to protect the innocent): <pre>ACME Service Company Project Manager and Lead Developer
123 Main St, Pleasantville, MN 55123
� Provided consulting services on project management, J2EE and J2ME technologies
� Managed and led development of J2EE and J2ME based service tracking and scheduling
system to coordinate shuttle-bus maintenance and repairs
</pre>(The maintenance was not actually for shuttle-buses. I'm using that here to further protect the innocent.)

This recruiter wants the dates of the project experience listed. He also wants much more description of the use of the system developed. I've been told to never mind keeping the resume to a single page and make it two pages long.

Adding the dates is easy enough. <pre>ACME Service Company Project Manager and Lead Developer
123 Main St, Pleasantville, MN 55123 March 2003 - August 2003
</pre>I had ideas earlier on detailing more of the developed system and its uses, but I'm a little tired at the moment. More from me tomorrow. I welcome your ideas.
[ September 17, 2004: Message edited by: Dirk Schreckmann ]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's plenty of room for project and development methodologies and the tools you used, as well as Operating Systems. That is if you want to continue working with those.

Dirk Schreckmann
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for the ideas, Helen.

In a different section of my resume, titled "Technical Skills," I've a multi-column listing of technologies (acronyms) I'm proficient in.

For each relevant work experience entry, I expanded on who the users of the different parts of the system were, what they did with it, the tools, technologies and practices used to develop the system, and the platform(s) on which the system was deployed. In these descriptions, I pulled in many of the items from the "Technical Skills" section, in order to further explain when and how I'd used these technologies.

The above example work experience entry expanded from five lines to eighteen lines. Overall, the resume expanded from one very full page to two full pages.

Now, I'll see how the job hunt goes this week...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dirk Schreckmann:
Now, I'll see how the job hunt goes this week...

Mr.Dirk,
R u planning to change your job?

The glass is neither half full or half empty. It is too big. But this tiny ad is just right:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic