• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

offshore coordinator

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
what is offshore coordinator role in IT?

Thank you,
ANgela

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
As the name suggests:
The American company would outsource some aspect of its application to an Indian company. Senior managers from the company would visit the Indian company to make sure its good enough and has the necessary setup to run the outsourced business.
After that, they assign a manager to take care of this outsourcing team. This manager (offshore coordinator) is responsible for making sure the team at the other end of the world does its job on time, accurately and requirements are met inspite of the physical distance.

Thats my understanding!
Amit

Angela D'souza
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you.
Is there any requirement (i mean certification) to get job as offshore coordinator? How much they get? Can they get work from home?

Thank you,
angela

Amit Saini
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No clue about salary requirements.
In my opinion offshore coordinating is not a full time responsibility. In my company, offshore coordinators have regular job titles but in addition to their usual work, they take care of our offshoring operations.

I dont know if companies hire offshore coordinators full time. Maybe they do...depending on how large their operation is.

I can't think of any certification that would help you. Maybe Six Sigma or PMP (Project Mgmt) would help you to some extent.

No idea about working from home though!
Hope that helps,
Amit

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Offshore coordinator is the single point of contact to coordinate with offshore team. You will be deligating all the work to offshore team wherever applicable and offshore team will get in touch with you for their clarifications. It may not be your full time responsibility. I am not sure any company will recruit full time onsite or offshore coordinators. Many companys do have onsite or offshore coordinators to avoid multiple contacts which may lead ambiguity situations.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Offshore co-ordination may or may not be your full-time job responsibility, but I have seen that it takes most of your time. Replying to mails/queries from offshore team, conference calls etc.

The time difference between the two sites can be killing. I have seen my friends loosing their sleep and getting health problems while attending the conference calls early in the morning and again late in the evening.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In the past, the "offshore coordinator" was titled as a project manager and basically assumed the role of one. He worked kind of odd hours. At the end of my employment there I did a knowledge transfer with him so that he could hand off everything to the offshoring team, which were really just taking over maintenance and bug fixes (there weren't any to do as it turned out )

So he essentially worked as a project manager on the offshore side and a liaison for those of us on the domestic side.

On a somewhat unrelated note, nice fellow. I felt kind of bad that they had me dump all of my stuff on him when I left. Unfortuantely, all the local talent was tied up and they had decided not to hire a replacement for me at the time. Ah well.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic