• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Another one bites the dust.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
James Pawitt announces his resgnation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/americas/3775423.stm

I think the administration has tumbled on to something. It's either gross incompetence or something worse.

town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What point are you are making?

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Weren't these guys appointed by Clinton?

Max Habibi
town drunk
( and author)
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
One was, the other is a 31 year veteran, I think. They both seemed to have crossed ideological lines, however. President Bush has every confidence in Tenet, and, presumably, tenet's choices. To be honest, I'm sure they're both better @ their jobs them we would be.

M

slicker
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We won't know for a while what is really happening. Did GWB, 'kindly ask' or hint that they leave? Did they leave b/c staying would mean they would HAVE to condemn their peers? Did they leave to avoid the political and possibly legal hassles? Were they close to retiring anyway and perhaps decided to 'take the grenade'?? Etc. Etc.

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Max Habibi:
To be honest, I'm sure they're both better @ their jobs them we would be.

Of that there is little doubt. Most of us would be snooping looking for the secret JFK and UFO files.

Desperado
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
They left for the obvious reason: They did a piss-poor job.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Max Habibi:
President Bush has every confidence in Tenet, and, presumably, tenet's choices. To be honest, I'm sure they're both better @ their jobs them we would be.

M

Of course they had the presiden't confidence. After all, the president cannot run the country on his own and has to rely on professionals to present him with the best possible data and advise.

I'm also sure the same thing applied to Tenet and his team on a smaller scale. They have to rely on their department heads who in term rely on analysts who rely on various data sources (human and mechanical/electronic).
If the analysts get data that is incomplete or inconclusive they have to make educated guesses based on what is known of prior intentions and events in the area (which included the large scale and rapid deployment of chemical weapons against both combat troops and civilian populations by the Iraqi armed forces).
Department heads will present this to their superiors until in the end it arrives at the desk of the chairman who will brief (or have someone else brief) it to the president and/or cabinet.

If any one of the multitude of people in the chain makes a mistake the analysis can become seriously flawed.
Tenet was good to take responsibility for that and resign rather than try to assign blame to some anonymous analyst who would make a convenient scapegoat.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic