• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Project Euler Problem

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

So I cleared that up but am having another problem. I'm using BigDecimal for exact precision, but after a million iterations checking values nothing is matching my test case. I'm currently processing Pythagorean Triplets and using the formula as long as m < n, then n2 - m2 = a, 2mn = b, and n2 + m2 = c.

Here's the snippet of code where I'm trying to do that, just want to make sure it's correct.

I'm using BigDecimal because I originally started with whole numbers but couldn't find anything that matched the test case, and since I'm looping through numbers almost a million times now and adding by .1 after each loop, I didn't think double would keep up very long in precision.
[ July 14, 2008: Message edited by: Nathan Leniz ]

Nathan Leniz
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ok, I finally found out what was happening and why it wasn't working. I won't go into details too greatly but for anyone else that isn't familiar with BigDecimal, just remember that 5 != 5.0 != 5.00

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What formula are you using for Pythagorean triplets? The whole idea of Project Euler puzzles is to get a nice simple algorithm.

You are looking for b^2 and (b+1)^2 and getting them to differ by a^2.
(b+1)^2 = b^2 + 2b + 1 so you are looking for a perfect square which is equal to 2b+1.
So you look for perfect squares which obviously have to be odd numbers and halve them.
1^2 = 1 = 2*0 + 1, so b = 0.
3^2 = 9 = 2*4 + 1, so b = 4.
5^2 = 25 = 2*12+1, so b = 12.

etc etc.

You don't need BigDecimal, only Big Integer. In fact to find the n-th Pythagorean triplet is now very easy . . .
No need for loops or anything.
You can find the 1000000th Pythagorean Triplet with longs and not need to bother with the java.math package classes.

Nathan Leniz
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I was using
if m < n. then n2 - m2 = a, 2mn = b, and n2 + m2 = c

I'd appreciate a private message explaining your method if you don't mind. I'm slowly building up my own math library. Also, I haven't touched math in a LONG time, so I'm really rusty and find I'm googling almost everything.

Oh, and what I did was (I know it was probably the most horrible way to do it)
start with m = .1 and n = .2 then iterate through n by .1 a million times, after that increment m by .1 then do it again, a million times. All the while I was doing it I was being asked by the so "What are you doing" and my only reply was "using computing power".
[ July 15, 2008: Message edited by: Nathan Leniz ]

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Nathan Leniz:
[QBI'd appreciate a private message explaining your method if you don't mind. . .[/QB]

The policy is that everything is discussed on the forum, not by e-mail or private message. And I think I have told you quite enough;

The 837458th Pythagorean triplet is 1674915, 1402670128612, 1402670128613

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic