• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

infinite healing

Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I broke up with my girlfriend recently so I've been in a bit of a funk. Fortunately I live near a large lake, so I walked over and sat for a while.

The lake was pretty smooth today. Peaceful.

A fish broke the surface and it took a couple of minutes for the surface to completely heal. But it did.

After millions of fish, boats, swimmers, storms ... on a day of calm, does the lake feel peace or does the lake feel nothing?

(I suspect that tomorrow I'll look at this post and think "did this smarmy tripe come from me?")

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
A while back I read about a study where people were asked to describe a place they find relaxing and calming. A large majority mentioned somewhere involving water - a river, a lake, the sea and so on. The people behind the study theories that it may be because our ancestors, at some point in time, used to live by the sea. I don't know if that's true or not, but I agree that there is something very calming about being by water.

Throw in a sunset and the image is complete. It gets me every time - if I'm away from the city and the sun is just touching the horizon... wow, its pretty amazing. The world goes silent and still, and I tend to go all philosophical and have a strange calm and content feeling inside. All of life's issues fade away, and I know that everything will be just fine. Of course then minutes later the sun sets and I'm back into the cynical real life, but there's a brief special moment when everything is just... calm. Is there anything better then sitting by the sea watching the sun set over the mountains?

Am I just a sucker for nature, or are things like this built into us?

High Plains Drifter
Netbeans IDE VI Editor
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Dave Lenton:
Is there anything better then sitting by the sea watching the sun set over the mountains?

Sittng by the mountains and watching the sun set over the ocean is better than that.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
a good friend of mine who i used tro spend tipsy evening with, relocated.
so my wife and mysenf went camping over the weekend.
i was pretty happy when i landed myself in a comfy position, darkness all around and the clear sky.
i wasnt sure if the stars were winking at me or mocking me,
after all it could have been a sign from the forefathers or it could have been the making of starwars 7,
suddenly there was this scream from the wify
an snake was cuddling the icepack
i realised it was a time to think seriously
was the ice getting warm??
maybe it was realy a sign.
well i hope i got you in a frenzy
if not
as cartman says
screw you guys i goinn home

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes...Nature...

Everytime I see the evening colors in the sky, whole range of colors and sun beams coming down the earth from slits in clouds, I feel peace. Its such a beauty. You are going home with so many random thoughts on mind and you see this mesmerizing scene and you wonder "why I am worrying when there is nothing to worry about?"

I believe its fundamentally in our nature to back to nature

Earlier when I used to be in India I used to watch sky over my house roof and then during Masters degree I thought "is there even sky, coulds, stars here?" but then I realized - its just me who was not watching it. It was there, with the same beauty.

Regards
Maulin

Regards
Maulin

paul wheaton
Trailboss
IntelliJ IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies