• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Authenticating Web Service

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am writing a service on Rational Application Developer with JAX-WS. I have a requirement to authenticate the userid password which I am getting. How do I go about doing this?

I have searched with google and IBM site but can't find much.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Metro SOAP stack has an implementation of the WS-Security standard that allows you to do that. I'm not sure whether WebSphere (which I assume you're using) implements WS-Security, although I'd assume that it does - search its documentation for "WS-Security".

M Rama
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:The Metro SOAP stack has an implementation of the WS-Security standard that allows you to do that. I'm not sure whether WebSphere (which I assume you're using) implements WS-Security, although I'd assume that it does - search its documentation for "WS-Security".

Hi Ulf,
Thanks for the response. I did look at WS-Security implementation in WebSphere and it does implement it. However, it doesn't seem to do the userid/password authentication but creates its own keys. That was the reason behind my question to see if someone had done this.

I will research some more.

Thanks

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

M Rama wrote:I did look at WS-Security implementation in WebSphere and it does implement it. However, it doesn't seem to do the userid/password authentication but creates its own keys.

This sounds a bit odd. WS-Security is a standard - if WebSphere implements it, then it supports username/password authentication. Also, I don't understand what "it creates its own keys" means in the context of authentication.

M Rama
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ulf Dittmer wrote:

M Rama wrote:I did look at WS-Security implementation in WebSphere and it does implement it. However, it doesn't seem to do the userid/password authentication but creates its own keys.

This sounds a bit odd. WS-Security is a standard - if WebSphere implements it, then it supports username/password authentication. Also, I don't understand what "it creates its own keys" means in the context of authentication.

Hi Ulf,
Thanks for your response. In Websphere there seems to be an option for username/password but I am not sure how it has to be configured and is what I am trying to find.

I saw your article of doing this with axis2 and rampart http://www.javaranch.com/journal/200709/Journal200709.jsp#a3

While Websphere has its webservice written on top of axis2, I didn't see any articles on where axis installation is done and how to set AXIS_HOME.

Can you give me any pointers on how I can solve this?

Thanks for your time.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic