• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Oktoberfest: Have you been to one?

Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I found it interesting when I first heard about it on Travel and Living. This is the last week I guess for this years celebrations. Have you been to any of these festivals? What is it like?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Monu,

yes you're right, this is the last week of this years Oktoberfest. You can find some pictures and facts on the official homepage: Oktoberfest

To your queston: yes, I've been there twice - but I live only 100 km away and the two visits were somewhen in the last 15 years. What's really strange, because everytime I've been there I really enjoyed it, the atmosphere, the people and - of course - the beer.

If you expect sensational rides you may be disappointed, there are some, but just the average choice like on any larger fair.. An additional downside is that especially on weekends it tends to be very crowded and it may be very hard to find a seat in a beer tent (or more likely beer hall -they are huge). And if you're alone you're likely loose your place when you've to go to the toilet.

And for me an additional problem is that I have to get home somehow..

So if you really want to visit the Oktoberfest I would suggest to bring some friends, rent a room in the range of the public transport of Munich and start your Wies'n experience on a working day (Monday to Friday) in the early afternoon.

John

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For some reason, the Germans do their Oktoberfest mostly in September. Wherever there are large German immigrant populations, there are local versions. For example, both Milwaukee Wisconsin and St Louis, Missouri, have parties, altho they may slide more into October.

I've been to German, and been to Oktoberfests, but never to an Oktoberfest in Germany. The others may not be a true copy.

author and iconoclast
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We have one right here in Gaithersburg, MD. Oompah bands and lederhosen and you name it. And a lot of delicious greasy sausages and beer in plastic cups. A good excuse to drink in public in the nice weather, and have a few laughs.

Monu Tripathi
Rancher
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Ernest Friedman-Hill wrote:..A good excuse to drink in public in the nice weather, and have a few laughs.

Yes, I liked the concept perhaps because of the same reason: the happy feeling that it brings. People from around the world coming together and having a good time.(It is still a concept for me since I only have watched it on TV and never been to one)
IMO it is no doubt a culture to borrow; glad to know that they already have in the US!

@John: I am not attending the festival but definitely would someday!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic