• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Daylight saving time

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
quick survey to anyone who lives in an area where DST is used.

Each fall, when we set the clocks back an hour, I hear everyone talk about how thrilled they are that they get an extra hour of sleep.

And every year, I always find that I stay up (at least) an hour later than normal, effectively nullifying the 'bonus'.

How many people actually go to bed at their 'normal' time and GET that extra hour? Note that this means you would have to get up at the same time you normally would...

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've got DST here. It is, of course, a purely political invention, it does not say daylight and it does not save energy. Perhaps back in WW1 when most folks barely had one light bulb, it did something. But in a modern house, lighting is just not a major portion of the electricity usage pattern, not like refrigerators, TVs, computers, etc.

I can't enjoy the extra hour of sleep because I remember that in just a few months, the bums will take it back.

Plus, I don't pay much attention to the clock, I tend to write code in the dark of night when the house is quiet. So the noise from the rest of the household is far more important than when DST is or is not.

One big warning, the first workday evening rush hour after we revert back to "standard time" is usually a complete disaster around here. People are not used to commuting in the dark. Its like they forget where the lanes are.

And if it rains on the first workday, all is lost.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:How many people actually go to bed at their 'normal' time and GET that extra hour?

I did.

And I'm glad that DST is gone. Last week when I left for work at 7:30 it was dark. I don't like riding my bicycle in the dark. But this week it's light at 7:30 and that state of affairs is going to continue for a few weeks.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I went to bed at the same time and got up an hour later, just to be ornery!

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:How many people actually go to bed at their 'normal' time and GET that extra hour? Note that this means you would have to get up at the same time you normally would...

Nope. I stayed up an extra hour despite being exhausted and woke up the normal time. That's my approach to jet lag when I fly to California (from New York) too - force myself to stay up until 10-11 (1 or 2 am NY time) and wake up at a normal time. It works out nicely.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't see any benefit of DST but long day while Spring and Short(really Short) day in fall. I think all the countries that have multiple timezones have DST?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
When we get that hour back it always makes me sad. Normally it is dark when I leave for work and still fairly light when I leave. Now it's dark when I leave, and dark when I get back.

Then again, I was a stagehand for quite a while, which basically made me a vampire. Who needs natural light, anyway?!?!?

It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood - Fred Rogers. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic